1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fussy Chicken, Help!?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ginger c., Sep 17, 2011.

1. ginger c.

ginger c. Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Alabama
    hi all!
    our BR mix, Tammy has been REALLY fussy [​IMG] for the past 4 or 5 days, is she about to start laying or could something be wrong? she's been very vocal, from sun up until bed time, much more so than our other girls. she's 23 wks old, give or take a few days. if you touch her back she does the squat thing that we've read about. so what do y'all think are we about to get eggs [​IMG], or God forbid could she have one stuck?

Thanks so much we'd be really lost without BYC!!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    If she were egg bound, chances are she might be going into the nest box for long periods of time and come out with no egg laid. Then do it all over again eventually getting sick. But it sounds like your girl is probably a bit hormonal. One of my girls took to biting me a LOT about a week before she began laying. She was so cranky! And my girl also began the vocals a lot. So it is possible she is gearing up for that first egg!

3. ginger c.

ginger c. Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Alabama
    Quote:Cool. Thanks. Hopefully, she'll drop one tomorrow so th other girls can get a break from her big mouth. [​IMG]
    I don't know if she knows what to do in the nesting box. LOL

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by