fussy chickens, possible predators?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by kemclaughlin, Aug 4, 2013.

1. kemclaughlin

kemclaughlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Garden City, ID
    My chickens are very fussy and noisy. I know that noisy hens are normal, but they follow me around, and fuss over each other when they are in the coop laying eggs. Could there be a predator around or is this normal?

2. auburn

auburn Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2012
    West Michigan
    This sounds normal to me, but I have really bossy girls who seem to think the only reason we'd be in the yard is to give them treats, hence constant following. [​IMG] How secure is your coop?

3. kemclaughlin

Apr 15, 2011
    Garden City, ID
    It does have some spots that need to be reinforced. None of my girls are missing though, so I was leaning toward snake, but I have never seen one.

4. kemclaughlin

Apr 15, 2011
    Garden City, ID
    That sounded like I don't care. My husband is going to reinforce the weak spots today, we just noticed it.

5. auburn

auburn Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2012
    West Michigan
    No no, it didn't sound like you don't care! I certainly don't have a perfect coop, I'm in no place to judge anyone else's. XD

Have to admit I'm not very familiar to the snakes in your state. Anything particularly dangerous? If smaller than the chickens then it's the one more likely to end up bitten...and eaten! [​IMG]

6. kemclaughlin

Apr 15, 2011
    Garden City, ID
    If it's a snake, it's likely to be a gopher snake, I think. I think that my eggs are disappearing, but I cannot be sure without a trap. I think we have rattle snakes in the mountains, but I live in the city.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by