Fussy Eater - can i regulate her feeding times

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LorraineM, Dec 5, 2012.

1. LorraineM

LorraineM Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2012
    My duck is so fussy. (she'd approx 6weeks old) and loves her chick starter and watermelon.
    (i've also given her some meal worm, but they are expensive treats)

I've tried so many different things others have suggested in here and she wants nothing to do with anything else.
    It's time to move her into the backyard with the chickens, now that the chickens are more well behaved with her.
    But i don't want to put her chick starter down just for the chooks to gobble up.

She does seem to roam around digging at the ground more when the chooks are around her
    (it's the most adorable thing watching her imitate the chooks like she is learning from them:)

Should i let her eat her chick starter first then let her into the back
    and if so should i let her have some during the day at intervals ?
    if so how often ?

I'd love to say i have time to be out there every hour to feed her seperately
    but we all know it's not always possible.
    I realise she will start eating the same as the chickens but i don't want her to go hungry till then.

[​IMG]

2. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    @ that aging she should have access to food/water all the time IMO... fussy can be there sometimes and honestly, may not budge on some things.. for instance i have 10 ducks now(all Muscovy btw lol) and NONE like watermelon... even when i had the 17(mostly drakes from my last summer hatch) they too hated the watermelon.

Over time they learn which foods they prefer, have you tried peas? most of mine like those(notice i said most?) Make sure she has her basic feed and keep trying things, you;ll find what works and what doesn't. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  3. LorraineM

LorraineM Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2012
    Nope she/he doesn't like peas either. :/
    But...... as she has gotten bigger and her friend sadly passed away recently :(
    i have been introducing her to the 4 chooks in the 'big' backyard and she is now eating with them, mostly,
    and it's like she imitates them, and digs at the food, munches/eats it and scrats around in the grass.

Honestly ?............ i just love how she/he is imitating the chooks, it's adorable.
    Like a small child imitating bigger kids :p

[​IMG]

3 of the four chooks and the ever faithful Ozzie (dog) [​IMG]

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Aw how sweet! i'm sorry she lost her friend. I have some ducks who don't eat peas too, again they are real individuals lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by