1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fussy ladies!!!!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kettle chickens, Apr 6, 2016.

1. kettle chickens

kettle chickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2016
    Birmingham, uk
    I have been reading lots of threads over the past few weeks about chickens eating pretty much anything. This does not seem to be the case for my ladies all they seem to like is corn and layers pellets the list of tried treats is

Lettuce
    Tomatoes
    Sprouting corn
    Bread crumbs
    Cereal
    Salad items

Does anyone have any other ideas??? I want to treat them...

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Mine love dried meal worms, mashed up hard boiled egg, peas, fresh corn, watermelon, bits of whole grain bread once in a while.

3. Zinniah

Zinniah Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2015
    Texas
    you can also try rolled oats, shredded carrots, and squash. feeder bugs like meal worms or roaches, these can be expensive. best to grown your own.

4. Ardj

Ardj Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2015
    Burlington County NJ
    Mine won't touch dried meal worms, but they love cucumbers and corn and watermelon , cheese, cooked ground pork.... they go nuts for it, green peas, ham,bananas,scrambled eggs,pumpkins, rice, pasta.

5. DreamsInPink

DreamsInPink Chillin' With My Peeps

Is it better to start them on all this different stuff when they are very young?? I'm afraid my brooder raised chicks aren't going to know how to be chickens.... :rolleyes:

6. mimsy

mimsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    Give them time. Things that are new they may just taste a little and not really eat, but keep trying and they made come to love it.

As far as mine, it would be easier to list what they won't eat than what they will. In fact the only things I can think of are things in my yard they shouldn't eat anyways, like Ivy, rhodendedren, peppermint, anything in the onion family.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by