Future Chicken Mommy Doing Research

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Anisa67, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Hi everyone! While doing my backyard chicken research I found this website and very happy I did. I have learned a lot and have made a decision on a few chickens already but still concerned about the breeds I'm choosing getting along. I plan on getting four to five of them (and hopefully adding more in the future since we are allowed 15, yay!) So I love the Buff Orpington and Silver Laced Wyandotte. Do the different varieties of wyandottes and orpingtons have the same behavior as the buff and SL? Should I get them as baby chicks or almost ready to lay? (Still trying to learn all the chicken lingo) Is there another variety that would get along with these? Should I get more now to make it easier and have them grow together or wait and add little by little? I don't know how hard it is to integrate new chickens to the flock. I also have two mini poodles (Napoleon 8lbs. And Lulu 7lbs) that are spoiled and I'm hoping will get along with my new babies. So as you can see I still have a lot of research and deciding to do and hopefully you can all assist me with that. Thanks so much and can't wait to be a chicken mummy.:weee

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Welcome to BYC!
    Breed is the shape and variety is the color. Any color/variety should have the same breed characteristics of others in the same breed. That said, birds are individuals and sometimes can vary from those of the same breed.

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG] Glad you stopped by. Buff Orpingtons are popular among new chicken owners.

4. Re: breeds that get along hens will not fight or quickly establish a pecking order and get along fine IF, they are introduced properly & not crowded. Many hatchery catalogs will list with breed info. the general temperament\ disposition.. Look for gentle, easy going, docile, affectionate. A few breeds I can think of that would be worth researching based on Wyandotte, Orpington would be Australorp, one of my favorites and Silkie but maybe not Bantam size if you're re just beginning with regular or referred to often, though incorrectly, a "Standard," also pair up breeds that are different, say a crested Silkie. Those two breeds are just the tip of the iceberg but also good layers and both will brood, set on eggs through hatch and raise peeps if old enough...one year or more.
    If you start withn peeps order extra as sadly it's s not uncommon to lose some the first few days despite the best research and set up. If you start with P.O.L. hens, point of lay- have or soon will be laying, you can still bond & not deal with the whole month or so of brooder box care. However you may have to acquire hens from different sources and seperatedd from your general\ established group of hens for at least a week or risk bringing in disease from new hens to your whole colony. Loads of articles on quarantine separation\ bio- security measures. Also on properly introducing newbies to established coop.
    Hope that helps some though probably has raised more need for research. You are beginning the right way, best of luck & keep us posted!
    CraZ4Seramas!!!

5. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Always Thankful Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    [​IMG]

6. LauraBrown

LauraBrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC!!

7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Anisa67 [​IMG] Welcome!

I hope you enjoy BYC; not only is it overflowing with lots of useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures about chickens, turkeys, duck, quail, Peas and pretty much any other feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

8. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I am very glad you joined us! Best wishes! [​IMG]

9. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

All breeds can be mixed and matched as long as the are of a similar size (mixing bantams and standards isn't preferable). All hatchery birds are more or less quite similar. A flock will be most cohesive when raised together.

10. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    As for breeds, like Misha said, they'll usually get along if they grow up together. But there will always be a pecking order and as I said, they are individuals. You never know who will rule the roost and who will be the underlings.
    It won't hurt to follow the recommendations of others but since there are so many great breeds in the world, I recommend the following breed charts to look for birds that match your personality.

http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html

http://www.albc-usa.org/documents/chickenbreedcomparison.pdf

You want to make your first short list from those breeds that will adapt better to your climate. That will make your life easier. One doesn't want to raise seramas in Minnesota or Chanteclers in Texas.
    The term flighty is often misused, it could mean they will fly (over fences), it could also just mean they don't like close confinement and will react negatively when cornered.
    People call the breed I currently raise flighty. They won't make a lap pet but when out foraging, they'll come running when you go outside, just don't corner one in a small space.
    They certainly don't fly unless pressed by a predator. I keep most in 3' pens. They're more likely to find a way under the fence than fly over.
    They get along very well with other birds/breeds. I even keep flocks of roosters together with no problems.
    You'll eventually get enough experience to judge for yourself.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by