Future Chicken owner

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by 3rdWorldCountryGirl, Sep 30, 2007.

1. 3rdWorldCountryGirl

3rdWorldCountryGirl New Egg

Sep 28, 2007
    Dry Ridge, KY
    [​IMG] hi [​IMG]
    I'm Laurie, soon I'll be going overseas to marry my Fiance [​IMG] and we will be living with his family until we can get him a visa so we can move back to the USA. I've never lived on a farm or had farm animals before so this will be fun, his family has sheep, chickens, ducks, turkeys, and a cow. [​IMG]

He said I can have my own chickens and a little sheep when I get there. [​IMG] And after we move back here I was thinking of getting some EEs and Orpingtons and maybe Silkies. I like the colored eggs and the Orpingtons are pretty - nice round chickens.

When I get there I'll have to post pics of the chickens to see what kind they are, though I'm expecting they may all be mutt chickens.

So, Hi everyone [​IMG]

2. Chelly

Chelly Cooped Up

May 11, 2007
    Sounds very exciting - congratulations. What country will you be moving to?

3. 3rdWorldCountryGirl

Sep 28, 2007
    Dry Ridge, KY
    [​IMG] Iraqi Kurdistan. It is very safe there unlike the rest of Iraq. My Fiance is Kurdish and they keep their part of the country very secure.

I haven't asked what kind of chickens they have there because I have a feeling I'll get the same answer as when I asked what kind of sheep they have. "I don't know, regular sheep" [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    Welcome!!!

What a wonderful experience. You will have to take a lot of pictures & let us know the way they raise & care for their animals.
    I, for one would be very interested in other customs.

Jean

5. bobbieguyette

bobbieguyette Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Welcome!
    im sure interested in when your moving how it is living and raising the farm critters there the weather oh so many questions! when are you going there?[​IMG]

6. JenniferJoIN

JenniferJoIN Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Wow... moving from Kentucky to Iraq! That's a big change! Goodluck with your chickens and your sheep! [​IMG]

7. 3rdWorldCountryGirl

Sep 28, 2007
    Dry Ridge, KY
    I'll be going in two weeks [​IMG]

I'm taking my digital camera and my Honey has a computer w/ internet so I'll try to post purebred Iraqi Chicken pics for everyone [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I keep thinking they will be watching me try to play with the chickens and wonder if we have any chickens here in America. "crazy american never seen a chicken before?" [​IMG]

So far I'm just looking around here admiring everyone's birds and learning stuff.

8. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    welcome, we will be very interested in the kind of chickens they have over there. Good luck.

9. Judymae

Judymae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2007
    Merit, Tx
    Good luck~it's hot over there!!! I wonder how they keep their chickies cool or if maybe they have adjusted to the heat.

10. newchickowner

newchickowner Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2007
    Texas
    Congradulations on your marriage in advance, and welcome to the forum! I can't wait to see the pics of Iraqi chickens! Trust me, this chicken raising stuff is extremely addicting. You'll love it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by