Future Chicken Wrangler In South Florida

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MomsGoneMild, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Hello! I am a stay-at-home Mom to 3 growing, growing, ...almost gone kids (20, 19, 13). I am super happily married to my third grade crush who patiently and curiously goes along with most of my whims. Had the bright idea the other day to raise a handful of chickens for eggs and companionship (ssshhh). They are already looking at my like the crazy chicken lady. : ). Anywhooo so i was browsing for Cabanas (my husband would never tolerate a coop, so since we are in Miami I sold him o nthe idea of a chicken cabana) for my future chickens. Long story short, i have no idea what I am doing. I am giving myself 6 months to research and plan, then another 6 months to build my cabana. If all goes well we will be qualified chick parents just in time for Easter! If all doesnt go well, we will spare the little darlings and move onto the next big adventure. We LOVE animals and will only do it if we know we can do it well.

As you can see i am pretty darn excited to have found this group! I know I will learn alot here, and I am positive I will get honest and true feedback and suggestions as i go along on my journey to the big "E" day of 2013. I will post pics and random wandering thoughts to my page as time moves along. This will be FUN!

Xoxo Annmarie

2. Gardeningmama

Gardeningmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome from Pennsylvania! I'm new here too, have 4 kids, 2 dogs, a cat, and a very indulging husband. As if that weren't enough I decided over the winter that my life would not be complete without chickens. I spent all winter researching and planning, this was going to be done with ORDER! Well, in the spring you can get chicks from Craigslist, local feedstores, private breeders and farms. ORDER went right out the window. I got the fever. The Gotta Have It's. So now I have three brooders (for the different breeds, and age groups. I'm rushing my indulgent hubby to get the coop finished because my laundry room stinks(those babies are ready for the outdoors). I sit in my yard during the day watching them all explore like it's a chickie daycare. People absolutely call me the crazy chicken lady, and I couldn't be happier. I'm even raising a small flock for my pastors farm. It is worth it and highly rewarding. I hope your experience is just as much so. Once again WELCOME.

3. CorinneP

CorinneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Up State New York
    [​IMG] Welcome ! I am very certain you will find all the answers to your questions here.. So Many very informed people ready to Help !

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

5. dreamer5577

dreamer5577 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Hi && Welcome!!!
    [​IMG]

6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

7. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. :thumbsup

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

9. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

10. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by