Future coop? pic heavy

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Pelican49, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Pelican49

Pelican49 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    Oklahoma
    A little background;
    My daughter and her 2 kids moved in with me when I bought this place at the end of April. So, we've been here almost 5 months now and love it. We have 36 acres, 20 of it in woods. She will be 37 in a few days, I'm in my 60s, have had back surgery and have very arthritic knees. It slows me down but doesn't stop me.

I got my first chickens a year ago. We've enjoyed them so much (and got good prices on eggs, especially over the winter), so we've decided we want more, lots more.

Now "building" anything is new to us. I bought my Grandson a play gym/swing set/fort thing, that's waiting to be put together. Now that it has cooled off some, it is on the list of things to do.

The coop... The idea of trying to build a roof etc had us pretty fuddled. The price of ready made is way out of line for us. So... on this property is what the previous owner called the hay shed. Okay. It is 35' wide and 20' deep. There are 3 breeds we'd like to keep separate and just a few hens and 1 rooster of each. Then have a ladies only section for layers, at least 25 of them. I've been looking at this hay shed thinking how I could divide it into 3 smaller coops and 1 large one. We wouldn't have to build a roof!!! We would have to figure out how to frame in the front for a door and windows. Also figure out how to put windows into the existing metal building. Dividing up the inside would just be a matter of chicken wire dividers. That I can handle.

I have another piece of land (5 acres) I'm going to sell. It has a beat up old mobile on it that isn't habitable. But, I'm thinking the kitchen cabinets from it would make great nest boxes. I'll also take all the windows from the place to use in the coop. Big plans, now if we can just do it. Curious what y'all think of starting with the hay shed, and my plans. Now these plans I made from a local furniture store's website. They have an area for planning out your room. LOL. Whatever works. The "plans" are not to scale, just a general idea.

Open to any and all ideas, corrections etc
    The hay shed -- excuse the mess.
    [​IMG]

The side yard where 1 run would start
    [​IMG]

The back of the row of outbuildings. One run would go back behind the other buildings.
    [​IMG]

If we get good at this building thing, maybe some day we could put a brooder coop here in these trees. It's right across the drive from the hay shed.
    [​IMG]

The "plans". Like I said, general ideas and not really to scale but as close as I could get it.
    [​IMG]

2. Buugette

Buugette [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Cra

May 26, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    WOW - I'm impressed.

Great ideas... can't wait to see the progress. Keep us updated with pics.

D

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  3. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    Looks like a great place to start. Wish my husband was home, he is working out of state, I would show it to him. We have the same building. He could tell you how to do it....he is a carpenter/home builder.

Lots of luck on a great plan!!

4. Tdub4chiks

Tdub4chiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Constantia, NY
    What a great plan. I'm sure it will work out better than you could imagine. BTW, absolutely love your dogs. They are beautiful.

5. Pelican49

Jan 26, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Awww thanks. Can't have just 1 Boxer ya know.

6. Tdub4chiks

Tdub4chiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Constantia, NY
    Quote:I have a hard time handling the needs of Sadie...lol. She requires my attention 24/7. Actually, I'd love more, but I would like more chicks too. I've got to stay in control, got to stay in control.

7. FlashPointFarm

FlashPointFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2009
    Iowa
    Awesome!

8. Pelican49

Jan 26, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I've got to stay in control, got to stay in control.

Yeah, I've given up on that and just go with it. We're wanting to order chicks quick while they're still available. Don't want to wait until spring when they could grow up over the winter. I keep telling myself to wait until the coop is built. Then again, if I order the chicks maybe it'll build a fire under us to get to work. Hmmmmm.

9. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Holy bat cave . How many chickens are you getting?

10. Pelican49

Jan 26, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Quote:ROFL. Okay that struck me funny. We're thinking about 7-8 in each of the smaller areas and 25-30 layers in the biggest section.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by