Future Downtown Albuquerque Spice-Girlz

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Sam3 Abq, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Sam3 Abq

Sam3 Abq Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    Here is my planned 1st flock - any thoughts ?
    1. Rhode Island Red.
    2. Australorp.
    3. Plymouth Rock.
    4. Speckled Sussex.
    5. Golden Laced Wyandotte.
    6. Easter Egger.
    7. Welsummer.

2. DaddyBird

DaddyBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2013
    Nice variety. It will be hard unless you special order but I would recommend trying to get them as chicks within a few weeks of each other. We did the same thing when we got started- cobbled together a great variety of breeds in our backyard flock. Because we got them all as chicks and had them in the brooder for a good while together, we never really has any issues with pecking or bullying new birds. We even had a few bantams in the mix (we cheated them a few weeks older so they were approximately the same size.) If you go the route of older birds you will have to 1, introduce them in pairs or trios to limit bullying, and 20 either go through a quarantine process or risk introducing something to the rest of the birds from the new additions.

3. Sam3 Abq

Sam3 Abq Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    We have a local feed/agriculture store here that may afford us getting them all at once - but yes, our plan is to have them all as chicks and raise them together. If our local connection does not work, then My Pet Chicken says they can provide us our select birds. It will be interesting to see who emerges as the head-hen from this group.

4. DaddyBird

DaddyBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2013
    my money is on the RIR

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by