Future flock planning

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Fishkeeper, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Fishkeeper

Fishkeeper Songster

Oct 30, 2017
    Central Texas
    I know I want ayam cemanis. They're too pretty to pass up! I'd have to hatch them from eggs, they're too expensive otherwise.
    If I want one roo and at least two hens, how many eggs would I want to get? I doubt I'd have much trouble finding homes for extra roos, they're just too pretty. Would 10 eggs work out? I'm thinking that would mean about 6 chicks would hatch, so my chances of getting at least 2 hens and 1 rooster are pretty good.
    Also, what breeds would be good to keep with ayams? I'd want them to be docile breeds, not pushy with other chickens, with eggs that are distinct from the ayams'. I'd also prefer them to lay eggs more slowly, so they'll live longer, and I'd like at least a couple that might be outright cuddly with humans. The rest, I just want to not bully the ayams or each other.

What about brahmas? They're friendly, and they lay a reasonable number of light brown eggs.
    Ameraucanas are good with other chickens, right?
    What are sussex and olive eggers like?
    I've read that Marans roosters can be mean, but what about the hens?
    What are Polish hens like if you keep their crest trimmed back enough that they can see? They're beautiful birds, but I wouldn't feel right letting them walk around mostly blind, I'd have to keep the inconvenient bits of the crest trimmed.

2. Melky

Melky Spring has sprung!

Jul 23, 2018
    Edgewood, KY
    My Coop
    It depends on how many eggs you want and what type. Most professional hatcheries go by doing well if 50 % hatch rate. 50% of which tend to be males. Of course numbers can be higher or lower. It is difficult to sell or rehome roosters. Some people have resorted to sending them to the pot once does not seem reasonable to keep because they can not sell or rehome roosters. That’s not to say you can’t but difficult to do. Also if just want eggs, cheaper and less hassle just to buy the hens in my book. Must first check to see if you can own chickens or roosters with your local planning commission and what the laws and ordinances are if this is your first time owning chickens. If just adding and have owned both with no problems and know your laws and ordinances then skip ahead.

I don’t have AC’s so can’t comment on what goes well with. It may have more to do with what is hardy in your area. What do you want for your egg basket? Are you planning on just using eggs for self or buying and selling chickens and the eggs. :)

3. Fishkeeper

Fishkeeper Songster

Oct 30, 2017
    Central Texas
    I don't have any interest in the eggs as such. I'd like to be able to sell some ayam hatching eggs, though, hence why I want the ayam roo. If all my other chickens lay blue or brown eggs, and my only roo is an ayam, the off-white eggs will all be pure ayams.
    Ayams are pretty and rare enough that I don't think it'd be too hard to rehome the roosters, especially as I could ship.
    I'd be open to buying the others as pullets, but have you seen what adult ayams cost? It'd be much cheaper to hatch them, even counting the cost of the incubator and chick supplies, or buy them as babies.
    Mostly I just want chickens as pets, with a bonus of them making excellent compost. I don't even like eggs! I just like chickens.

4. A.M. Eggs

A.M. Eggs Songster

Jan 7, 2018
    Wichita Falls, TX
    I don’t know anything about ayam cermanis but I do know about all of your other questions.
    1. Brahmas are friendly but can sometimes be pretty bossy. I have a dark Brahma named Bonnie and she has a pretty good peck towards younger hens.
    2. I have a spotted Sussex and she is good with the other hens but she is always pecking me. Her sister wasn’t like that so it might just be her.
    3. Olive and americanas/EEs are usually at the lower level of the flock and would be great for your ayams.
    4. I’ve had marans in the past and they have a similar behavior to barred rocks. I don’t know about the roosters though.
    5. My polish have many different personalities. I have one that will beat up any hen that tries to take her on and two others who are like my EEs. I trim their hair whenever I feel that it is in the way. They are not good for free ranging but anything else they are pretty docile.

Good luck with your ayams!! :wee

5. Melky

Melky Spring has sprung!

Jul 23, 2018
    Edgewood, KY
    My Coop
    Are you NPIP certified and if shipping would need to follow shipping guidelines for live poultry or hatching eggs. This varies from state to state and may need forms and or permits to do. The state by state regulation you can find at the NPIP site. Good Luck!

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I go by the quarter rule. Set 4 times the amount of pullets you want.
    Only half will hatch, and half of those will be males.
    If you're buying shipped eggs, might double the multiplier.
    If you get way more birds than you want, you can eat them or test your sales market.

Buying breeds based on some 'personality' chart or anecdotes is rarely accurate.
    All birds are individuals and their demeanor can vary greatly depending in line, environment, and keepers demeanor.

Trish1974 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: