Future Quail owner

Discussion in 'Quail' started by gumshu69, Feb 25, 2014.

1. gumshu69

gumshu69 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2014
    Hello all. I am starting to build a coop/hutch for the quails I will be purchasing very soon. I am in south central PA and have a few questions for you all. I would like to have a Button and Coturnix. Questions:

1- Is keeping males a must?
    2- Can I keep Button and Coturnix together?

I am leaning towards the rabbit hutch style. A portion will have wire including the floor, another portion will be enclosed with a wooden floor. The entire unit will be under roof. OR I can get a few full wire stackable cages and keep them in an unheated pole building. I was leaning away from this option because I had the idea to harvest the birds every fall so winter care is not important.

What do all of you PA people do?

Thanks in advance guys!

2. Poetshens

Poetshens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2014
    I live in York county and I have my quail in a chicken tractor style cage with a triangle design. If you raise the button quail and Coturnix quail together as chicks they should be able to live together nicely (with enough hiding places provided). I am not sure eating a button would be worth it and males are always optional. You will still get eggs and they are worth eating for all the nutritional value. I have mine on the ground right now outside with just a tarp covering them. I am switching to wire floors once it warms up and I can see the grass again. I would go with the rabbit style hutch personally with something underneath to collect their droppings to put in the garden.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. gumshu69

Feb 7, 2014
    Poet- thanks for the advice. I think I'm going rabbit hutch style. In that scenerio I suppose I can keep them year round? As long as I have a place for them to have shelter of course.

4. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]
    Average sized fully grown coturnix in my hand

[​IMG]
    Fully grown button quail

5. gumshu69

Feb 7, 2014
    Poet, I'm also in York county. Where is the best place to buy some birds. I don't really have the means to incubate them so I'd prefer already hatched...

6. 1000yearoldeggs

1000yearoldeggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    western pa
    I live in western pa and I've checked craigslist for quail, but only found some in Tionesta, which is a little far for me. I don't know how far it is from where you live, but you could try there. Other than that, I've seen some buttons and coturnix on Pittsburgh's craigslist, usually only a few. Good luck, I had to order eggs to start with, and then hatched some of my own.

7. Poetshens

Poetshens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2014
    I have 5 full grown Italians for sale. (Like the picture above) They were hatched last year and are already laying eggs. If you want chicks I have a friend who lives in Spring Grove who could help you out with chicks. https://www.facebook.com/TheWillowRoost She has males and females for sale or will soon. PM her and tell her Poet sent you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by