Future site of my new coop(update:The coop is finally finished)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Chickenpoor, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Chickenpoor

Chickenpoor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2011
    Westminster, SC
    This is the future site of my new coop (The Hollandaise Inn). My uncle came today to look at the trees we wanted to cut down so he could give us a price, I wanted them to be cut down so a storm couldnt blow them onto the coop, he is suppose to come some time next week and cut them [​IMG]. The trees in the pic with the orange on them are the ones that will be cut. My coop will be 8' X 8' and will be divided down the center to make two separate coops that measure 8' X 4'. I will have my EE's on one side and my BCM's on the other. Each coop will also have an attached run that is about 15' X 8'. The siding is going to be pine slabs (the long pieces of wood that lumber yards cut off of trees with the bark on it before they are cut into 2X4, 4x4, etc) I found that it will be cheaper to do it that way because a small lumber yard near me sales their slabs for $20 for as many as you can fit in the back of your truck. I will probably put some deck sealer stuff on it to help protect it and make it last longer. I will try to update again once the trees are cut and once the area is cleared of all the debris and a few other times during construction.

[​IMG]

The trees have been cut and I have begun the dreaded process of cutting them up and clearing them out of the way. Here is an updated pic:

[​IMG]

On a side note I now have alot of work to do to my duck lot. Several large tree limbs were knocked out of the other trees that were not cut down and they landed on the duck lot basically destroying it, no ducks were harmed, they were moved to a different pen prior to the cutting because I knew that you never know what is going to happen when trees are being cut. I have to try and bend the wire back in place and put the door back up.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  2. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    Ohhhhhhhhhh ... you must keep us posted and post pics as you build, etc.

How exciting!

3. Dornes

Dornes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    South Western WI
    Wow, those trees.... I would leave them just because of the shade they will provide your chickens!

Keep us posted on progress [​IMG]

4. chickengoober

chickengoober Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2011
    Belton, TX
    I agree with Dornes on those trees [​IMG] but if you live in a storm-heavy area I can see why they must go... very nice design and as for those slabs for 20$ a truck-load. What a deal!!@! I wish lumber was that cheap at lowes [​IMG]

Keep us updated!

5. Chickenpoor

Jan 3, 2011
    Westminster, SC
    Quote:Im actually planning to plant a few leyland cypress around the coop or maybe some other type of bush/evergreen tree that will provide shade. I just dont want to take the risk of having those big trees around the coop, especially not the 2 poplar trees anyways, their nothing but lightning rods and the lightning is always bad around my house when a storm comes through.

Does anyone have an idea for what kind of bushes/evergreens I could plant around it for shade?

I will do my best to keep everyone up to date on the progress. I cant wait to get started. Or should I say finished lol.

6. Chickenpoor

Jan 3, 2011
    Westminster, SC
    The trees are set to be cut down tomorrow morning. I will update with a pic as soon as I can. Im nervous and excited all at the same time. Nervous because Im affraid one might hit one of the coops I already have built [​IMG]. Ecxited because step one is set to take place [​IMG].

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  7. Chickenpoor

Jan 3, 2011
    Westminster, SC
    The latest pic has been added, the trees are down.

8. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    I would love to have the fire wood if I was close by, or I will take them to the Mill and have enough boards to build my coop. very nice wood you got.

9. Chickenpoor

Jan 3, 2011
    Westminster, SC
    Quote:We will be using it for firewood, we will probably try to sell some of it because their will be alot of it and we have some trees on the other side of our house we are going to cut because they are to close to our house and storage building. 2 of the trees were HUGE poplars, my dad is going to see if he can sell them to a person that buys them to make lumber.

10. Chickenpoor

Jan 3, 2011
    Westminster, SC
    [​IMG]:ya:ya The coop is finally finished!!!!!![​IMG]:ya:ya The last nail was hammered in this afternoon and the chickens moved in once it was dark so they would be easier to move and so I could clip one of their wings to keep them from flying out. I will get pics ASAP. Ive been having trouble with my desktop once again (it has just been turning off right in the middle of me using it, I'll be lucky to type all of this without it doing it) so it may be a while before I can get pics on here. [​IMG]:ya:ya

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by