Fuzzies go outside for the first time

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Tomhusker, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Tomhusker

Tomhusker Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Hamburg, Iowa
    Yesterday I made a 1.5 x 3 foot portable run for the lavender orp chicks I have in a brooder on the dining room table. Today I got up and saw that the temp was a comfy 75ish and determined that the 2 1/2 week old fuzzy butts would be fine outside as the day warmed up. I moved them out for the first time and put them in the little cage. They seem to enjoy it, especially since it has more room than the brooder that was made for 2 chicks, not the 4 I ended up with.
    I think I will be moving them outside during the day from now on, weather permitting, and just using the brooder at night.

A pic of the cage I build. Used PVC and some left over chicken wire I had on hand.
    [​IMG]

3 of the 4 getting used to the grass and the sunshine.
    [​IMG]

The smallest one, and kinda raggedy looking. But she(?) is just as active and eats just as much as the others.
    [​IMG]

2. Willow's Meadow

Willow's Meadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Thats soooo cool! And your chicks are adorable! I want to let my'n out soooooo bad! I was going to wait till sunday when it will be in the 90s. My chicks are the same age as yours. But right now its like 80 outside and I wannnnnnaaaa let them out. But I'm to worried! Do you think I could....mayyyybbeee?

3. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    Do you stay out there with them? I only ask because the cage looks like it could easily be tipped over by a cat or dog. . . it doesn't appear to have a bottom, so if it's tipped over, there go your chicks. And the plain chicken wire may not be the best thing. As I've seen stated here and other places, chicken wire is for keeping chickens in, not keeping predators out. Maybe the cage is stronger than it looks, but I am concerned about the safety of your fuzzies.

4. Tomhusker

Tomhusker Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Hamburg, Iowa
    I don't stay out there with them all of the time. I do check on them frequently. I have a piece of plywood and a cinder block on top of the cage to anchor it down. Our main run is made with chicken wire and we have had no issues with it. I know hardware cloth would be a better choice, but it is not in the budget. As with anything else, we will make do with what we have.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by