FYI - Dead Chick deliveries due to Postal Delays

I just read online a story about thousands of chicks arriving dead due to delays or mishandling. A few people drove directly to the hatchery they ordered from in PA from Maine to pick them up after thier first orderof 500 chicks had 150 dead ones on arrival. Second order of 800 all were dead.

Last edited:
They shouldn't be shipping right now knowing this -- farms/hatcheries should suspend USPS orders. It's animal cruelty at this point.
I very much agree this should be stopped until these little ones can be transported safely.
Hopefully these companies will look into the safety of these living creatures in the future and animal rights laws should be enforced .

Last edited:
I very much agree this should be stopped until these little ones can be transported safely.
Hopefully these companies will look into the safety these living creatures in the future and animal rights laws should be enforced .
I got a small order of simply nine chicks from Meyer Hatchery in Ohio back in May of this year and luckily they were all blessedly healthy thank God. My order was over $200+ dollars for the type of birds I ordered. My husband did not know this at the time which was good. If he had of it would not have been a good scene. This because if he had of the man bringing the chicks to the pickup window from the back would have been annihilated. He was upset pretty bad just thinking of the normal cost from the way the guy was carrying the little box that the chicks were in. He was just non-challantly carrying the box and throwing in way in front of him like a shopping bag full of clothes or something way out in front of him up in the air and back like their weren’t live animals in there knowing good damn well that there were fragile little birds in there that were delicate chicks that had to be precious to someone and needed to be handled with care and not thrown around like that at all. When he told me what he had been doing I was so mad. I did let the hatchery know. I should have reported it to the post office manager but it probably would not have done any good. I am so upset about this.

I got a small order of simply nine chicks from Meyer Hatchery in Ohio back in May of this year and luckily they were all blessedly healthy thank God. My order was over $200+ dollars for the type of birds I ordered. My husband did not know this at the time which was good. If he had of it would not have been a good scene. This because if he had of the man bringing the chicks to the pickup window from the back would have been annihilated. He was upset pretty bad just thinking of the normal cost from the way the guy was carrying the little box that the chicks were in. He was just non-challantly carrying the box and throwing in way in front of him like a shopping bag full of clothes or something way out in front of him up in the air and back like their weren’t live animals in there knowing good damn well that there were fragile little birds in there that were delicate chicks that had to be precious to someone and needed to be handled with care and not thrown around like that at all. When he told me what he had been doing I was so mad. I did let the hatchery know. I should have reported it to the post office manager but it probably would not have done any good. I am so upset about this.
WOW -- where I live the post office calls you the morning the ducks/chicks arrive and you have to go pick them up. They don't deliver to your door. I must say that the postal worker was very gentle with my little box from Metzer (I live in Southern California, so they didn't have far to go, but the female I ordered died the following day -- I think the drake in the box with her ate all the grow gel. Knowing him as I do now it would not surprise me...lol). Next time, I'll drive up to Gonzales and pick up the birds in person. But I know a lot of people don't have a place nearby or can't drive that far, so I'm hoping this situation improves. Would be nice if farms just had their own animal delivery services -- like the milk man!

We drove 5 hours round trip (twice) to get our girls. I'm just not comfortable with the idea of shipping live animals. Air Canada lost my cats in cargo when I immigrated from Canada to LA. They were missing for 36 hours and they gave me a case number like they were a fu(k!ng piece of luggage. They finally showed up terrified, starving and covered in their own excrement. I am not taking any chances ever again.

WOW -- where I live the post office calls you the morning the ducks/chicks arrive and you have to go pick them up. They don't deliver to your door. I must say that the postal worker was very gentle with my little box from Metzer (I live in Southern California, so they didn't have far to go, but the female I ordered died the following day -- I think the drake in the box with her ate all the grow gel. Knowing him as I do now it would not surprise me...lol). Next time, I'll drive up to Gonzales and pick up the birds in person. But I know a lot of people don't have a place nearby or can't drive that far, so I'm hoping this situation improves. Would be nice if farms just had their own animal delivery services -- like the milk man!
Oh I got the appropriate call from the Post office I guess you could say. If you call it that. I got the call from Tupelo’s post office which is the largest city around. It is ten miles from us. Their manager called us and said “mam would you rather pick up your chicks today or wait until tomorrow and pick them up in Shannon at your post office?” I said do you mean to tell me that they are going to sit in that box overnight up there for another 24 hours instead of being delivered today? He said yes Mam that is how it’s done. I said no way... I am very thankful to you for calling. Someone will be up there within the hour to get them immediacy. Shannon is my home town which is ten miles from Tupelo, MS. We do not have any type of hatchery that I know of in the South at all. They had already traveled from Ohio in that little box. There was no water provided in our box that I was aware of and I don’t think they were given any. Also they sent the gel but it was packaged for me to give them not for them to eat during the trip. Mine had nothing during their ride. I fed and watered my girls as soon as I got them home and they knew exactly what to do. Mine mainly wanted to eat drink and stretch those cute little legs and get warmed up afterwards under their heat glow system I had setup over their bedding and then go to sleep all in a heap.

We drove 5 hours round trip (twice) to get our girls. I'm just not comfortable with the idea of shipping live animals. Air Canada lost my cats in cargo when I immigrated from Canada to LA. They were missing for 36 hours and they gave me a case number like they were a fu(k!ng piece of luggage. They finally showed up terrified, starving and covered in their own excrement. I am not taking any chances ever again.
OMG I'd freak out if that happened to my cat or dog. How terrifying -- poor things. I'm glad it turned out ok.

Hope you're liking your new home in L.A. -- especially the triple digit heat and occasional smell of smoke. Isn't if fabulous?! My ducks have come inside every day this week (in a very contained little area) because they just pant outside, even with TWO ponds and a mister. The pekins especially. I'm afraid they're going to think this is how it will be all the time...

Back
Top Bottom