FYI - Dog packs

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by allen wranch, Jan 30, 2009.

1. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    It has been mentioned several times about what happens when dogs band together and the predator instinct kicks in.

This story is a prime example. In addition to killing 29 chickens, a peafowl and a turkey, the pack managed to slaughter 30 goats.

Pack of dogs attack, kill farm animals

The pens were fairly well predator proofed with six foot chain link fences with barbed wire on top and bottom, but the dogs managed to dig under.

You can never overkill when it comes to predator protection.

2. Buster

Buster Back to Work

This is why people shouldn't let their dogs free range. They have no idea what goes on while their dog is away. I lived on a road where about 14 dogs packed up and started killing other dogs, cows, goats, chickens, cats, and anything else they could run down. Dogs started disappearing fast. Bang Bang. SSS.

3. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Also, watching a calf that has been run down by a pack of coy-dogs and gutted while running and finding pieces of it scattered over 10 acres and the carcass left to rot OR finding a calf with it's head stuck in the fence while a pack of roving dogs ate the back end out of it and left it to die of shock will make you want to shoot every canine you see for a long long time. [​IMG]

4. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I hope they find the owners. The whole thing is disgusting. I'll bet that if they find the owners, they'll be singing the "my sweet doggie would never do that" song.

5. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    Carla, I saw that on the news last night, but they didn't say that he managed to kill several of the dogs. It did say they would all be out hunting for them for the next several nights. You'd think with all the deer out there they would have plenty to go after without getting the domestic animals.

6. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Ugh, that is terrible! How devestating for them.

7. SilverM0on

SilverM0on Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    Oregon
    thats horrible.... poor man
    the whole bloodline and all the hard work / love / money he put in it just blown away
    god when will dog owner learn not to keep dog loose and without collar
    i hope they find the owners and make them pay for there stupidity

and put the dogs to sleep before they do more damage

8. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    most states HAVE a leash law.. you are NOT allowed to just turn your dog loose... because of things like this..
    it just ticks me off when i hear of people leting their dogs "run free" to get exersize.. i have had to many of my pets and livestock KILLED because of somebodys loose dog... and that is why all loose dogs on your property should be caught or shot...
    they need to find those owners and make them PAY.. oooooo:mad: this just burns my boat!!![​IMG]!!

i love dogs.. i OWN "hard" breeds... my life IS DOGS,, my job IS DOGS....
    and it makes me soooooo MAD when i hear thingd like this.. stupid irresponsible owners.. it is the HUMANS FAULT

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  9. SilverM0on

SilverM0on Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    Oregon
    i know i have a dog to
    a 75 pound husky and the only moment she is loose is on my own fully fenced property and only when im there
    im not stupid left alone she could easily jump the fence for a trip
    or dig under
    dogs are nice companions but there pack still animal whit strong instinc who love to run and chase after stuff...
    it dosent take much for a dog to pass from chasing to killing

10. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

When I lived in Iowa we had a dog pack running around killing livestock. These weren't dogs just running loose or jumping fences, these were dogs that had been dumped by owners out in the country because everyone knows that farmers always need more dogs. [sarcasm] The dogs go feral pretty quickly and revert to pack behavior. But it does come back to personal responsibility and people taking care of their animals.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by