FYI: Gov't Phasing out Incandescent Bulbs

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by happybooker1, Jan 6, 2013.

1. happybooker1

happybooker1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2012
    North of Houston Texas
  2. sawyerashton

sawyerashton Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2012
    South Louisiana
    My Coop
    Went to Walmart the other day and thought it was odd that the highest wattage I could find was a 90 watt bulb. Never heard of them before.

Thanks for the post.

3. RWise

RWise Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2012
    Oakhurst Oklahoma
    75's and 60's are now gone too, 40 watt goes this year, and soon there will be none. Some stores still have the 100's in stock. Good luck!

4. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    In germany they were phased out too. some genius imports them now and sells them legally as "heating lights" instead of light bulbs. I think i might stock pile light bulbs too. (hubby already made me stockpile rice and the kids wanted a stockpile of bacon)

5. BulbsBoss

BulbsBoss New Egg

Jan 7, 2013
    100 watt incancescent bulbs are now pretty hard to come by and 75 watt bulbs will be running scarse in a few months now that the government ban is in place on them as well. 60 and 40 watt bulbs will be included in the ban next January 2014.

Stock up on 75 watt incandescent bulbs here - http://www.bulbs.com/Incandescent_B...m_sp=Homepage-_-Rotate-_-75_Wat_Incandescents

Meanwhile there are some halogen bulbs that give off similiar light to the 100 watt bulbs here - http://www.bulbs.com/60W_--_74W/results.aspx?Ns=P_Wattage+Sort|0&Ntt=ecovantage&pid=91

Get them while they're hot : )

6. nok13

nok13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2012
    hi, we just ran into the same problem; in israel also now , alhtough there are still regular lightbulbs being sold, no more can be imported so soon there wont be any at all; we were looking for the red big bulbs that once were used in calving houses and chick brooders they had a metal 'cage' around the bulb also; we used them for everythign from brooders to warming sick goats...
    anyhow, cant be found, so what can be used???
    what wattage? what amount of k for temperature do we need? we need to know sort of yesterday but any answer at any time could work; i cant order over the net. im still waiting for chicken nipples that havent arrived. our mail is not always timely//or trustworthy./

7. RWise

RWise Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2012
    Oakhurst Oklahoma
  8. Runawaylobster

Runawaylobster Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2012
    Redland/Homestead Fl
    I use the red outdoor floodlights in my brooders. They work well.

9. Moonkit

Moonkit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Richardson, Texas
    Brinsea Ecoglow.. Like an electronic hen for your chicks. No fire hazards or late night kegger parties. It'll probably be cheaper in the long run vs the bulbs anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by