FYI on postage for shipping eggs.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by cjexotic, Nov 20, 2009.

1. cjexotic

cjexotic Cj's Mandarin Ducks

Mar 11, 2008
    Central PA
    First of all I hope I am putting this in the right place for all to see as it may very well save you money or you may already know about it. I just fell on to it.

I just found out something really disturbing when shipping eggs and paying for postage via the internet.
    I usually use PayPal if that is how I am paid for shipping. So when you use them its asks you for the measurements of the box.
    I just shipped out 61 eggs for the auction winner. If I used PayPal they wanted $38.97 for 8lbs 3oz to California. I did not ask that much for shipping so coming out of my pocket. So I went to USPS site (they do not ask for dimensions of box unless you put in oversized package. So I put in the same info minus the box measurement and the postage was $26.30.. way big savings. I took it to the post office and had the girl that normally takes care of my eggs and had her check the postage to make sure I was right. Did not say anything about internet. just that my scale might be off. It came up to $26.30.

So when sending large amounts of eggs and the shipping seems high via paypal its worth checking usps.com site to purchase the
    postage. Just an FYI I just stumbled on.

2. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Thank you!

3. S&N Livestock

S&N Livestock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    southern ohio
    You coulda got them into 2 medium flat rate boxes for what 21.00??

4. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Yeah- I use the flat rate boxes. I just sent out a dozen or so eggs in a bigger box and it was $13.50 to go across the country. And none were broken!!! Amazing.

5. cjexotic

Mar 11, 2008
    Central PA
    I had over 5 doz eggs think it would have taken 3 boxes.
    I very seldom use the flat rate as I can not get all the eggs in them.
    I hate sending two boxes to the same addi. Always afraid one will not find it way there. lol
    I might have to do that though.. but its still not right for the diff between paypal (prority mail rate and from the usps site rate)

Do you guys use the flat rate for only the long distance ones?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  6. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I find that the regular priority rate is typically much less than the flat rate boxes.

7. cjexotic

Mar 11, 2008
    Central PA
    Me too that is one reason I have not used them.
    But the other is the boxes are not big like the regular priority box so
    can not get 3 or 4 dozen eggs in them like I can the other box.

8. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Quote:Same here! [​IMG]

9. S&N Livestock

S&N Livestock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    southern ohio
    I can get 40 to 42 large eggs in the medium flat rate box i started doing it after i received eggs from another BYC member, it worked great for him and i have had great reports as well.
    If i can find it i think he posted how to do it on here some where ill go look

found it

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=147346

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  10. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    The flat rate boxes are mainly for heavy items that will fit into the box. You can pack up to a certain weight and the price will be a flat rate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by