FYI on postage for shipping eggs.

cjexotic

Cj's Mandarin Ducks
11 Years
Mar 11, 2008
Central PA
First of all I hope I am putting this in the right place for all to see as it may very well save you money or you may already know about it. I just fell on to it.

I just found out something really disturbing when shipping eggs and paying for postage via the internet.
I usually use PayPal if that is how I am paid for shipping. So when you use them its asks you for the measurements of the box.
I just shipped out 61 eggs for the auction winner. If I used PayPal they wanted $38.97 for 8lbs 3oz to California. I did not ask that much for shipping so coming out of my pocket. So I went to USPS site (they do not ask for dimensions of box unless you put in oversized package. So I put in the same info minus the box measurement and the postage was $26.30.. way big savings. I took it to the post office and had the girl that normally takes care of my eggs and had her check the postage to make sure I was right. Did not say anything about internet. just that my scale might be off. It came up to $26.30.

So when sending large amounts of eggs and the shipping seems high via paypal its worth checking usps.com site to purchase the
postage. Just an FYI I just stumbled on.

I had over 5 doz eggs think it would have taken 3 boxes.
I very seldom use the flat rate as I can not get all the eggs in them.
I hate sending two boxes to the same addi. Always afraid one will not find it way there. lol
I might have to do that though.. but its still not right for the diff between paypal (prority mail rate and from the usps site rate)

Do you guys use the flat rate for only the long distance ones?

Last edited:
Me too that is one reason I have not used them.
But the other is the boxes are not big like the regular priority box so
can not get 3 or 4 dozen eggs in them like I can the other box.

Quote:
Same here!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom