FYI reminder on the safety of chicken owners

TammyP

Songster
10 Years
Oct 2, 2009
SW Wisconsin
Just thought I'd mention this here....

I cleaned out my chicken coop this week.....very dusty since I hadn't done it for a while....

Anyhow, I had on my mask, head covering, boots, etc.....however, I neglected the 'eyewear', which isn't mentioned too much in coop cleaning...

Yesterday morning, my eye was a little swollen under the lid area towards the tear duct area.....a little tender also. My family noticed that something wasn't right with my eye...anyhow, did an internet search on what this could be. They say it is a 'stye' or 'sty'. I've never had one and when searching on the internet, this is what they describe is my dilemma to a tee.

They say that this 'stye'/'sty' is caused by the Staphylococcus bacteria. When I was reading the documents to my hubby...the first thing he asked was if I was sanitizing my hands/washing my hands after handling the chickens/eggs/coop/etc. My response was, "of course!"

I just told him that the coop was very dusty when I was cleaning it and perhaps I just got lots of dust in my eye.... and thinking upon that, I was rubbing my eye during the process...

So.................I typed Staphylococcus bacteria into the search bar above and got LOTS of info on this bacteria on this site and how it is prevelent around chickens.

My assumption is that I got it from the dust and from rubbing it into my eye....

So I will be adding 'protective eyewear' to my coop management list.....and suggest that others do so too.
smile.png

Ugh, it's painful and I look horrid (only on the right side-apparently rubbed that one).... a hard lesson to learn.

So the FYI reminder is keep sanitizer in the coop area, use it often and don't rub the eyes! Perhaps protective eyewear should be on the list for cleanup duty. When done, go to the nearest water station, wash hands and then rinse out the eye area completely/wash the face before any type of touching. {of eyes, mouth, nose, etc}
smile.png
We think about immediately washing the hands but we neglect to add the facial areas.

That is all. Thank you.

~Tammy

speaking of stye. I am developing one in my right eye now too. Everyday I sweep out their run and coops and it was pretty windy late last week....so that's where I picked it up !!

Back
Top Bottom