FYI those who live on the Pacific and/or eat pacific seafood.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Chic CAN, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Chic CAN

Chic CAN The Wisdom Chaser Premium Member

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If they want to be taken seriously, they need to use more professional language than "absolutely fried", IMO. Sounds like my little brother wrote the title.

3. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    1. Causes of hair loss in bears and pinnipeds is unknown. http://www.usgs.gov/newsroom/article.asp?ID=3162
    2. This is the sixth such increase in sea lion mortality in the last few decades. Causes are unknown. http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/health/mmume/casealion2013.htm
    3. Sockeye stocks have been declining for at least 20 years. The causes are complex but include pathogens, over-fishing, habitat loss, etc. Here is just one article: http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/07/03/sockeye-salmon-spawning-down_n_1645378.html
    4. They page the site links to says the herring have a know virus...
    5.and 6...The size of California? Water is measured by volume, land by surface area; the entire analogy is wrong. And doubling the amount of radiation still makes it well under international standards for exposure, even long term exposure.
    7 Cesium doesn't move up the food chain much. It has a very short half-life. This means it doesn't become more concentrated as it moves up the food chain, like PCBs or mercury do.
    8.Yep, blue fin have radioactive cesium.
    9.+ 10. These fish were caught in Japan, which has suspended fishing in the affected areas. In the cited article it says fish caught further from the coast showed no appreciable change in radioactivity levels.
    14.Yep, we measured radiation, detectable but not dangerous.
    15. My backyard pond of about 1000 gallons, has about 4 tons of water, a backyard swimming pool with 10,000 gallons has about 30 tons of water, the pool at my YMCA has about 2500 tons of water.

There are real things to worry about, even with the radiation coming out of Japan. Believing easily refuted nonsense doesn't really help you have a good grasp of what the threat really is. If you want a good idea of the Japan's real threat to the Pacific ocean, do some reading on unsustainable fishing done Japanese style.

2 people like this.
  4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I wouldn't take them seriously no matter how fluent they sound
    They're big on speculation and short on honest data

5. Chic CAN

Either way they need to get a handle on that leak. Cesium 32 was never meant to be floating around in our ocean. Especially at the rate its leaking. There are plenty of other issues to consider, but regardless it is still an issue that needs to be dealt with. It is bad enough that they have waste produced from these plants that are destroying ecology's all over the place. The Mississippi for instance is tainted. How much dumping can you do before we do irreversible large scale damage? Radiation kills, sorry, sad fact, and we get enough from the sun.

And yes over the years things have been getting worse.. dumping crap wherever is not helping, and this lovely boost of crap we get from this leak is amplifying. I think they need to do more in-depth investigations and stop hushing whistle blowers.

Yeah lingo may seem important but often the passionate don't have politicians credentials and thank God. And I often not many worthy notes taken only come from minimal sources. Small new agencies cover stories you will never find in mainstream news or media more worried about collagen and the years lottery picked murder case to cover, as well as selective political stories. . So I like to consider it and many times they are onto something.

6. crazyaboutchickens

crazyaboutchickens Live Long And Prosper

Apr 10, 2010
    Nowhere/Everywhere

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  7. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    Excuse me, but the polar bear article was the one linked to in her "source", so her "source" was using a year old article....

Much of the Mississippi pollution is agricultural, and causes a huge dead zone in the Gulf of Mexico. There are lots of environmental disasters in the world, and Fukushima is certainly one of them, but this article takes lots of unrelated events, and speculation and tries to link them. It is misleading at best. It uses jargon quite deliberately without giving any context, ie becquerels. without ever defining, or saying what it measures. I have a science background, and I had to look it up.

By over blowing the toll of places like Fukushima it becomes easier to ignore the long term and cumulative effects of poor policy and on-going environmental problems. It is much easier to get hysterical over radiation in the Pacific than over-fishing, large-scale agricultural pollution, estuary degradation and resulting habitat loss, multiple environmental risks associated with farmed fish,naval ocean noise pollution, garbage sargassos and other long term oceanic issues.

Lots of causes to pick and choose from without manufacturing hysteria.

1 person likes this.
  8. Chic CAN

I wasn't panicking. but the fact remains they need to put a cap on it regardless, not to mention caution should be exercised in the consumption of pacific marine life... are they even testing the fish before it goes to market? I agree many things need to be addressed but the topic of focus is the specific event.. and the Polar bears could be linked.. and it would be from fish consumption.. not to mention fish migrate, thus spreading the situation. Either way they should look into it.. it might be some type of disease causing the bears situation.

9. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    </div>

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by