GA Ban on Selling or Swapping Chickens Because of Avian Influenza Question

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by Mylied, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Mylied

Mylied Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2012
    Middle Georgia
    So today there was a message sent out stating: Effective immediately all poultry exhibitions, shows, sales (flea markets, auction markets), swaps, and meets in the State of Georgia are suspended until further notice. This is because of the Avian Influenza in Tennessee and maybe in Alabama. Does this mean no mailing eggs too? I'll add a link to the online letter.

http://agr.georgia.gov/Data/Sites/1...ses/files/2017/GA-Poultry-Suspension-Memo.pdf

2. eclecktic1

eclecktic1 Chillin' With My Peeps

We're talking about it on the Georgia thread on social forum. I was wondering the same thing. Right now the thought is that eggs coming from npip certified hatcheries wouldn't be a problem. Someone else said shipments from out of state from npip should be ok.

Anyway, come join us.

3. rainee63

rainee63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2017
    North Alabama
    Alabama has a stop-movement order from the dept of agriculture. Nothing with feathers can move. Not sure about eggs!

4. Mylied

Mar 12, 2012
    Middle Georgia
    I called the Dept of Ag and got it figured out. Thanks. :)

5. MaconMommy5

MaconMommy5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2017
    Central GA
    Mind if I ask what they told you? I've been wondering this as well.

6. Mylied

Mar 12, 2012
    Middle Georgia

They told me no shipping of eggs. She said one on one (in person) sales weren't expressly banned, but were not recommended. But people are getting different answers. Someone else was told no sales or trades or anything at all. As far as I can tell, you are allowed to receive poultry from states other than Alabama and Tennessee.

7. MaconMommy5

Mar 13, 2017
    Central GA
    Gotcha. We planned to go to Smiley's (Local Flea Market) This coming weekend, But guess that'll wait. Thank you!

8. Mylied

Mar 12, 2012
    Middle Georgia

Yeah, that's definitely banned. No swap meets, poultry shows, etc. I'm near Macon too, so I know just where Smiley's is. :-D

9. MaconMommy5

Mar 13, 2017
    Central GA
    It's actually about 35 Minutes from us. Lol. We're near Gray and Jones County.

10. Mylied

Mar 12, 2012
    Middle Georgia

Oh, Ok. I'm closer to Warner Robins. Kinda middle of nowhere. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by