GA - Wanted blue silkie (easter-egger) eggs

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by RUHAMA, Aug 29, 2007.

1. RUHAMA

RUHAMA Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2007
    GA
    I bought some blue-green eggs from silkie easter-eggers from CA on e-bay. Long travel. I hatched out only one, "Olivia". She is the cutest little thing with top hat and ear tuffs and feathered feet. She will be needing some of her own for company. I would like to buy some more, if possible from closer to home. Does anyone have some that they can sell me. Thanks, RUHAMA [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2007
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Doubt many people have ever heard of a silkie easter egger; I haven't and I've heard of some wild breeds. They are two different breeds that, if combined, you could not be sure of the egg color since both parents contribute to that. You probably bought a crossbreed that just happened to come from a blue-green egg, so you may not be able to reproduce it exactly. Either that or someone has developed a new breed.

3. RUHAMA

Aug 29, 2007
    GA
    The lady has been working on developing them. She had been selling the eggs on e-bay, but has not in about 6-8 weeks. Attempts to contact her must be interupted by her spam filter, or long vacation....she prefers not to ship east of the Mississippi. Thanks, RUHAMA

Last edited: Aug 30, 2007
  4. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    All I can say is that it would be a Silkie cross. I'm with Cynthia, I doubt you will be able to find them easily.

5. RUHAMA

Aug 29, 2007
    GA
    I found the link to the listing where i bought my original silkie easter-egger eggs. The lady wrote back and they will not be available again for a year due to predator trouble. If someone is interested in seeing the old e-bay listing that explains them, just e-mail me, and I will forward it to you. Eileen

6. robin416

Feb 6, 2007
    Eileen, why not just post it here. I bet there is a bunch of Silkie people who like to know what she's doing. I know I'm curious.

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

My guess is that she has mated enough EE roo's to silkie girls to get the blue egg gene and is just x breeding them to the silkie girls to have the feathering. Wonder how often she gets silkie feathered ones from the group.

8. robin416

Feb 6, 2007
    I was wondering about the Silkie feathering too since I've been told that the Silkie feathers do not have a dominant gene.

9. Hi! I have 2 silkie feathered girls that lay green eggs.

Long story short --- one of my EE hens (regular feathered) from IDEAL was carrying the silkie feather gene, so when mated with a Silkie gave me silkie feathered and regular feathered chicks.

Both those girls are broody right now, but I'd be willing to put them with a Silkie roo to see if you can get more silkie feathered green eggers.
    [​IMG] and it's a lot closer than CA.

Just let me know,
    Lisa

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I thought that the green egg gene was the rooster's fault?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by