GA Woman Shoots Neighbors Dog

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Mattemma, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
  2. chikinfarmr

chikinfarmr Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2011
    Southern tip of Illnois
    I think if you have livestock of any type you should be able to defend them from any predator. If the predator is on your property and has killed your livestock you should be able to take care of the predator.

3. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    It was in Pennsylvania, not Georgia...I saw from the story that she had caught the dog and tied it up to shoot it, which is probably the reason for the cruelty charge. The story didn't say if this was the first incident, but that may factor in as well.

4. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nothing I like better than unbiased, balanced reporting. [​IMG] Why, when stories like this appear on the news is it always about the "poor dog" and his owners? What about the poor animals he attacked and their owners?

5. Poupoulles

Poupoulles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Mayberry (really!)
    If it had been a pit bull the headline would have been "Rabbit owner saves bunnies from vicious killer." But since its a lab, there you go. I hope the shooter gets her day in court. She was within her rights.

6. Capvin

Capvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    That is really a tough one and I really do not know who to side with. I know that personally I could not tie a dog to a tree and shot it and the way it was done here was three to the head sort of execution style. On the other side of the coin the woman raised rabbits and was certainly angry and distraught when she saw one of her own pets dead. The reality here is that no one is going to win regardless of right and wrong. Robert Frost said "Good fences make good neighbors." But in addition dog owners also have an obligation to keep their pets out of other people's property. I am afraid that in this situation, both parties were wrong.

7. Emptywagon2

Emptywagon2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2011
    North East Texas

I agree..

8. War Chicken

War Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2011
    Generally, self-defense and defense-of laws focus on imminent threats. Once the threat ceases, your legal options become limited. For livestock, it depends on the laws of the state. Some will allow you to pursue the dog a reasonable time or distance (or even indefinitely) even after the threat to your livestock is no longer over (this is probably based on the assumption that dogs are repeat offenders and it saves farmers the trouble of having to wait for them to cause trouble the next time).

If that woman wanted to kill that dog, she should have at least untied it afterwards or used a more discrete method. And if she told the police the dog was tied up at the time, well, she shouldn't have confessed.

The other issue that livestock defense cases turn on is whether the animal was attacking livestock. This is where some kind of surveillance camera system comes in handy. Such a system is also useful in figuring out native predator problems too.

9. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    while i'm sorry she lost a rabbit she admitted to tying up a dog then shooting it. She's gonna have the book thrown at her. Even though the dog did wrong once its tied up its no immediate threat. So all a lawyers gonna have to do is ask why you didn't call the police, pound, etc. It would be the same as someone robbing me at gunpoint if i felt my life or family was in danger and killed them prob self defense. but if i disarmed him and tied him up then shot him then i'd be in jail. But after being in the army and all the political b.s we always went by the saying better to be judged by 12 then carried by 6. just my 2 cents

10. mohillbilly

mohillbilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2012
    Poplar Bluff , MO
    If she would have called the law after tying the dog up its owner would have been fined and required to pay for her rabbit..and if it happened a second time she could have forced the owner to put the dog down...at least that's the way the laws are written here where i am... tho we have problems with feral dog packs here occasionally and we all take shots at them when they come around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by