gaaah!! Brooder temps

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Iheartchicks<3:), Apr 10, 2011.

1. Iheartchicks<3:)

Iheartchicks<3:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Directly under the bulb its 100 degrees, the farthest way from the bulb.. its 60.. is this okay? (ps farenheight)

2. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    As long as the chicks arent trying to get away from the light or are directly under the light.
    Chicks trying to get farthest away from the heat lamp= Lamp is too hot
    Chicks are huddled under the heat lamp=Lamp is too cold
    How old are your chicks?

3. Iheartchicks<3:)

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    sunny & the 5 egg layers :

As long as the chicks arent trying to get away from the light or are directly under the light.
    Chicks trying to get farthest away from the heat lamp= Lamp is too hot
    Chicks are huddled under the heat lamp=Lamp is too cold
    How old are your chicks?

I dont have my chicks yet XD​

4. iasc300

iasc300 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2011
    Linden, IA
    Yes they will be fine. The will move to where they are confortable. If they are ll bunched up under the heat they are cold. If they are all on the cold sit with their mouth open and wings spread out they are cold.

5. Iheartchicks<3:)

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    you mean they are hot [​IMG] Lol Im gonna recheck the temp, a 40 degree drog seems like alot! and its not that big.

6. allpeepedout

allpeepedout Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Seems that 95-100 degrees is the conventional wisdom to simulate a hen, but for mine even 95 degrees was way too hot. IMHO, they are not all savvy enough to move away from too much heat, especially as tiny babies. And when they pile on top of each other, the temps they experience are even higher. Thankfully, I figured it out and one mine who looked oddly "asleep" but who was actually cooking revived when I cooled it into the low 90s.

7. Iheartchicks<3:)

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Quote:Ok.. so it cant be 100 degrees at one end? There will only be 4 of them in there...

8. TouchO'Lass

TouchO'Lass Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Oroville, Wa
    I spent a WEEK trying to get my plastic bin brooder to 95* on the dot before my peeps got here. Had another thermo on the cool end JUST to make sure.

Guess what? My chics didn't want 95 and all clustered on the cooler end as 3 day olds, so I raised the lamp. They played in the heat; slept in the cooler end, but all in a pile, lol!

I raised it some more. The first week, they seemed to like 82*. "How can that be!?" I says...

Then I thought about it. THEY didn't READ the manual! The little SLACKERS! [​IMG]

But seriously: Start at 95 on one end as all recommend, and be prepared to adjust according to what the peeps tell you. Watch them closely, protect them from drafts and make sure they're ventilated so they aren't stewing.

They will let you know what they like...

9. JerseyHen

JerseyHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Sussex County, NJ
    Mine won't stay under the light at the 90 degree end. I guess three days of hardening off during transit did it? Mine seem to like about 85 or so best, but will occasionally "sun" themselves in the light. I suppose it depends on the chick. At 5 days some of them have definate temp preferences and sleep alone in the outer edges, cuddle in the middle, or flatten out under the light. My brooder is large though and has only cardboard over hardware wire for sides. The range from one end to the other is about 30 degrees in the day and as much as 50 at night. One side has a towel hung and I just open it or close it to allow the temp to go up or down since moving that light night and day is getting a little old (the room temp fluctuates pretty dramatically so I can't seem to get a perfect 90 and they don't care. The big range seems to suit them. I suppose the most important thing is that they can't cook themselves under the hottest point if they were to pass out under it for a while.

10. Iheartchicks<3:)

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    alright so 100 degrees at one end and 60 at the other is good.. now where do i put the food?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by