Gaaah! How do you kee them clean?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Balbinka, May 18, 2011.

1. Balbinka

Balbinka Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    California
    Balbinka lives in the house and goes outdoors several hours a day (to graze).

Thing is... she is always covered in red dirt! Especially her feet. And... well... she sucks at washing herself!

She bathes about twice a day but that red dirt does not come out!
    Is there such a thing as goose shampoo or goose foot soap?

I'm serious LOL
    Thanks guys.

2. Sore Thumb Suburbanite

Sore Thumb Suburbanite Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    orange county
    they have that impossible dirt in utah & arizona too...that dirt doesn't come off of anything; I visitied my aunt and uncle in St. George and all the older houses in town have a red halo around the bottom half of the house...eeewww.

They do sell these weird duck and goose shoes... if you are interested, you could probably find them on the same sites that you can get duck and goose diapers. They look especially funny because both feet have a snap on the same side so it will look like your goose has two left or right feet. I can imagine these would be a pain to put on and take off regularly and they too would likely get red dirt all over them but thats the only thing I can think of short of putting down a sandy ground covering.

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  3. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Maybe you need a tub next to the door, with a mandatory bath before coming inside.

Or, as an alternative, is there a way you can improve the yard so it doesn't have so much mud? Feed the grass so it's thicker, mulch the flower beds, that sort of thing? Of is that just not a viable option due to water restrictions, etc, out in that climate? Just wondering, because I have the same issue with the dog at certain times of year, and have found over the years that some preventive maintenance so that there is less bare ground and thicker turf helps a lot.

4. Gracie9205

Gracie9205 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    Lake Charles, LA
    It seems like that red dirt is almost impossible to wash off. The only thing I can suggest is to get some "bluing" shampoo that they use on white dogs/horses/chickens. You may be able to find some info on it on a silkie thread. I hear lots of people that show white silkies use it.

5. Balbinka

Apr 16, 2011
    California
    Ah, okay! Thank you for the suggestions!

She gets dirty even in the grass. And... hehe... I ordered her goose shoes several weeks ago (they should be here soon!).
    I am going to try the whitening shampoo. As long as she doesn't eat it, I think it'll be OK. Red dirt sucks.

6. The goose girl

The goose girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Denmark
    My goose Keld loves to have his feet brushed.

When his feet are dirty (and I need them clean; they're dirty almost all the time), I use a soft wet dishwashing brush with a bit of bit of regular shampoo or liquid hand soap on it. I gently scrub his feet and legs and take care to rinse of all soap afterwards.

I sometimes put on some unscented baby oil after I dry his feet; they tend to get kind of scaly, although he doesn't seem bothered.

7. ben is a terror

ben is a terror Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    LBI,NJ & JIM THORPE,PA
    Quote:What kind of goose is she? How old?

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  8. Balbinka

Apr 16, 2011
    California
    Thanks goose girl!

Balbinka is a 4 week old Sebastopol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by