Gaaahhh! first dustbathing...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Stephine, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Stephine

Stephine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2016
    Sonoma
    It gets me every time. Now as a second year chicken mom I thought I'd take it in stride, but....
    saw one of my chicks lie on its side twitching, then still again, then kicking her legs again, writhing in the shavings in the most awkward way. Lying still again, then flopping over on her other side, twitching again. Whole time I am talking with my daughter: she's trying to dustbathe! I think.... see, there she kicks her legs... wait.... is she really just... what on earth? What is she doing? She's freaking me out! Is she ok???
    So my daughter clapped her hands, chick jumps up and runs to the other side of the brooder, where she falls down again and continues.... waaahhhh! Seems like once they get into the mode they have a hard time stopping.... She really was just dustbathing. I saw the wing wiggle... but my nerves... got me - again!

2. sas212

sas212 Just Hatched

Mar 31, 2017
    Southwestern Idaho
    They're so adorable when they start scratching at around 2 weeks old also! Last week, I placed about a 2 quart plastic container filled with some of my garden soil...they hopped in a few times but didn't really pay close attention. I took them outside again today (3 weeks old) and they did that flopping on the side wing twitching thing also AND nestled in the tall grass. I added another layer of soil to their little container and darned if they wouldn't get out of it! I have 5 chicks and there was only room for 4 so I had to find another larger one to accommodate the little loner...they LOVE that dirt! I had to remove the container so they'd get out and eat! Too funny!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Stephine

Stephine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2016
    Sonoma
    Haha! so cute!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by