Gaah! Day 18 suprise - a chick!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wvcruffler, May 11, 2009.

1. wvcruffler

wvcruffler Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2009
    Elkins, WV
    Howdy all,
    Well, today I had planned to take the eggs from the turner and place them in the bottom of the hovabator (circulator). When I opened it, there sits a newly hatched yellow chick! Argh! So, I quickly moved the remaining eggs onto the screen, added just a little water, and closed it up. Several other eggs had pipped. I had no clue I would find a chick today and didn't hear it as I had just gotten home from work.
    As background - I have dry-incubated these eggs and they have been right at 99.5 since day 3. On days 1 and 2 I had some temperature control issues and it ran higher (up to 102 on day 2!!).
    Anyway, humidity was 26-30% the whole time. I will be watching closely to be sure the humidity doesn't rise too much during the next couple days. Hopefully the hatch isn't too buggered now. 27 of 42 eggs were looking really good.

The Marsh Roll-X sitting beside it averages a steady 99.5 and 28% humidity. It is 4 days behind the Hovabator. The eggs in the Hova are barnyard mix chickens from a local farm and the ones in the Marsh are 1/2 barnyard mix and assorted BC Marans, Marsh Greys, Shamo-Asil cross, and Phoenix. The last few were to get some broody hens. Anyway, Wednesday i will post feast or famine.

Dr.Phil

The Marsh Roll-X

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:That's funny "Dr. Phil" hahaha--I wish I had 18 dayers-some of mine are on day 20 and I hear a peep but thats about it for now..ahhh so exciting congrats on your baby!!!

3. digginchicks

digginchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2009
    Sullivan, Indiana
    Wow I thought that I had done something WAY wrong when one of my chicks hatched at day 20 but day 18 that is insane!!! I think im going to try dry hatching my next batch (This is the first time I have even heard of it, but.....) [​IMG]

4. kysilkies

kysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    Elizabethtown, KY
    Too kewl, congrats!!! [​IMG]

How long do you leave them in bator once they've hatched?!?!? [​IMG]

5. wvcruffler

wvcruffler Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2009
    Elkins, WV
    They get until Wednesday and whoever isn't out is either getting left or pried out.

Then it starts all over in a couple days in the Roll-X

Dr.Phil

6. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:You can leave them in for 2+ days. They need to be dry and fluffy before they come out. They have enough nutrition from the yolk to be without food and water for about 2 days...I have taken mine out withinhours though--or I should say I've seen people do it. They are fine, in my garage 5 weeks old from my own eggs! Fred and Daisy BO's.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by