Gabbard Farms - Blue Andalusians

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Tbird84, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Tbird84

Tbird84 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    Corapeake, NC
    Anybody have any experience with the quality of Gabbard Farms lines? I am looking into getting some of the Blue Andalusians and wondered if their line was decent, or should I pass. I won't be showing or anything, but I don't want mutts either. [​IMG]

2. Surehatch

Surehatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2009
    Georgia
    make sure their from good breeding stock

3. Lazy W Poultry

Lazy W Poultry Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2010
    Oklahoma
    You do know that they sell eggs only and not chicks????

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    [​IMG]

5. FowlDelights

FowlDelights Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2009
    Elgin, Tx
    My experience with them has not been positive. The buffs I got are smaller than others I have purchased from BYC members. And one rooster looks more like a bantam than standard. To me they are the equivalent of a standard hatchery except they generate volume eggs instead of chicks.

6. Tbird84

May 16, 2010
    Corapeake, NC
    Yes, I know it is just eggs, not chicks. Suppose it couldn't be a whole lot worse than straight up buying from some of the hatcheries. [​IMG] Well, I went ahead and got a few to try. We shall see how it goes. [​IMG] I am relatively new to this forum, so I don't know of any contacts in my area.

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Well let's put it this way, you can either be happy with it or not. If not, you can always sell them as pet quality.

Good luck in hatching them!

8. KyBlue

KyBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Southeastern KY
    I ordered an assortment of eggs from Gabbard Farms last summer and was very pleased with them. I needed an assortment of eggs on short notice for a school project and Julie was very helpful and accommodating. I hatched 3 Blue Andalusians and they were sweet little birds. Their lacing was actually better than I expected. I sold them when they were about 4 months old though due to limited space.

9. Tbird84

May 16, 2010
    Corapeake, NC
    Thanks guys! The eggs should be here tomorrow or Friday, so we'll see how I come out in about 3 weeks. [​IMG]

10. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Honestly, I wouldn't go with Gabbard Farms unless quality doesn't matter to you. Almost all of their stock is from hatcheries, after all - So it is the same as buying from there. Of course, Blue Andalusians are very rare from good stock, but if it is worth it to you, go ahead and search further. [​IMG]

Hatcheries now offer Black Copper Marans chicks, but does that mean I would switch to them instead of a quality breeder who's been focusing on the breed for decades? No.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by