Gabbard Farms

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by rodriguezpoultry, May 26, 2010.

1. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I was wondering if anyone had ever ordered Buff Brahmas (eggs or chicks) from Gabbard Farms? If so, could you post photos? How was your experience?

2. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    I haven't ordered from her...so couldn't help you there...but Fowl Visions has some nice looking BBs...

3. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Is that who owns Gabbard Farms?

4. chickenlittle32

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    Nope...

5. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Nevermind...I read enough to make me not want to touch the farm with a 10' pole.

Thanks EVERYONE who has EVER posted about this farm. It is GREATLY appreciated!

6. ()relics

()relics horse/dog shrink

Jan 4, 2009
    indiana
    reading your last post saved me lots of words and you alot of grief...

7. chickenlittle32

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    [​IMG]

8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    [​IMG]

9. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Just wanted to add to the general thread. I ordered seven hatching eggs from Gabbard, got eight. Eggs were packed in an egg carton, with lots of paper towel stuffing, not just a piece or two, all inside a bigger box stuffed with more packing. It wasn't the pinnacle of packing perfection (I like the small box tight bubble wrap theory), but I was satisfied with the packing.

The eggs were clean with just the expected little smudge here or there, and labeled in pencil on the ends.

I had issues with getting the eggs as quickly as promised. This was a desperation order of eggs to put under a broody who would not quit. Julie said she could have them out within 48 hours, so we paid by Paypal and started waiting.

Eggs were ordered on 7/31, we eventually got them on 8/10. Apparently she was having heat issues with laying. There was some back and forth emailing but she was a bit hard to pin down on when exactly they would be coming, sort of a tomorrow, tomorrow thing. So, anyway, hens aren't machines, we recognize this. She was a bit hard to get hold of, but we're not talking about a Murray McMurray sized hatchery here. Overall I have a somewhat negative feeling about this part of the process, but not terribly, terribly negative. We were certainly very frustrated at the time.

The eggs had a hard life once they got here...none of it the seller's fault. At least three showed signs of development (I am no expert on candling, there could have been more). Only one eventually hatched and to my eyes it was clearly a Blue Ameracauna, not an EE, so that part was definitely as advertised. Unfortunately it was weak and did not make it. I attribute this solely to our issues, not the seller.

Julie was pleasant and polite.

I might order again, but probably not if I was in a desperate hurry.

10. chiknranchr

chiknranchr Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2010
    Il
    I ordered from Gabbard Farms also ,the eggs were on time ,I had one cracked egg but I got 15 eggs for the price of 12 ,I ultimately hatched 5 from those 15 ,one did not make it ,so I have 4 very healthy chickies, It was my first try at incubation and out of the fifteen ,nine developed to full chicks but only five hatched ,my temperatu:)re was constantly low and I had other issues ,which I blame myself not the person that sold the eggs to me.I'll tell you I will definitely order from her again.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by