Gabriel & Company..Chicks 10 wks to 5 wks (PIC HEAVY!)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by speckledhen, Jan 6, 2008.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

All the chicks got out today for the first time, all 17 of them. Finally a warm day! They had a great time and discovered REAL dustbaths in REAL dirt! All of them are sold except 10 wk old Gabriel and 5 wk old Zoe, his little sister, the progeny of Lexie and Hawkeye.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I have no idea what this pullet was doing when I snapped the pic of the Blue Orp boy! Action![​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Gabriel is getting big!! [​IMG]

I took some pictures today too of my BLRWs that I'll have to post. They just got moved outside yesterday....finally.

3. speckledhen

Guess I should qualify my statement. The older ones have been out before once or twice, but none of the younger ones ever had because it has been too cold. So this is their first time plus their first time as an entire group. Gabe is a big boy, that's true, much larger than even the Ameraucana boy his own age. He's quite skittish for a Barred Rock, moreso than any of my other boys have been, but I think part of it is because I didn't want to keep opening the doors to the coop in extreme weather at their age, so I haven't spent as much quality time with them as I normally would. I'll work on him. He also hasn't crowed yet, which is odd for my BRs. They most often start at half his age. The Ameraucana boy has been crowing for about three weeks now.
    Next weekend, a customer is coming to pick up the Blue Orpington girl, one of the blue Ameraucana pullets and the two oldest Barred Rock pullets. Then around the 26th, a BYCer is coming to get the rest of the chicks except for Gabriel and Zoe, along with Scout and Silver.

4. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Tee hee I love that action shot!

Gabe looks like he's going to have a very nice comb! He's a good looking boy! It will be interesting to see how the two body types of Lexie and Hawkeye do on a boy. My Lexie girls look a lot like her, but with a deeper body.

5. speckledhen

You're right, that will be interesting. Lexie is very small for a standard BR and Hawkeye is very broad and stocky. I was also wondering if Gabe would look like Hawkeye would have looked if he hadn't been damaged by his former living situation. Zoe looks just like her mother did at that age. The older daughers are very, well, for lack of a better word, delicate-looking. The third pic from the bottom is Zoe. She's very friendly and wants attention all the time.

6. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    Nice looking birds Speckled!

Maybe your "action shot" is really a chicken in training for another kung fu chicken Burger King commercial. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  7. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    That action shot needs to be put under a "Caption This " post. I can't wait to see the responses. [​IMG]

The fifth picture, the one above the action shot. She is just beautiful. They are all great, but she is just gorgeous [​IMG]

8. speckledhen

Thanks, Jean. She is a Blue Orpington, the daughter of Suede and either Skye or Velvet, can't recall which one.

9. cherndon712

cherndon712 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    WY
    [​IMG] I'm on your egg list, right? LOL They are BEAUTIFUL!!!

Crystal

10. speckledhen

Did I miss your order, LOL? Nope you're not on the egg list. I can't take anymore orders till after May, though. From time to time, if I end up collecting more than I need for the upcoming week's orders I'll post an egg asst for sale in BST section.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by