1. deborah the silkie

deborah the silkie Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2008
    Phoenix
    Hey everyone, I have a seemingly healthy buff silkie pullets that has been gaping/gagging when she eats. I have noticed what I believe are sneezes very infrequently. Is this an upper respiratory infection? Or at least the beginnings of one? I haven't noticed any nasal discharge, eye discharge, or diarrhea. But she may have vomited? Any ideas?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I would say to do a search for gapeworm and then see if you think it could be that?

3. BamaSilkies

BamaSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    NE Alabama
    Open her beak and have a look. She may have a piece of grass or hey or something stuck in throat. If you dont see anything do the gapeworm check. Chicken will sneeze sometimes unless shes doing it on a regular basis or has nasal discharge I would just keep an eye on that.

4. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    It is definitely something. WE have a peahen doing that. Took her to the vet and we are treating her for URI and/or Gapeworm.

You should separate your hen and start her on an antibiotic, at the very least Duramycin, preferably Tylan or something similar. Deworm her also with a broad spectrum dewormer like Fenbendazole. (Panacur)

5. BamaSilkies

Nov 28, 2011
    NE Alabama
    The best wormer for gapeworms is Valbazen. Dawg is the worm expert around here.

6. BamaSilkies

Nov 28, 2011
    NE Alabama
    I would hold off on the antibiotics until you know what the problem is do a search for the gapeworm test. I think you take a qtip and swab the throat and if it comes up with red y shaped things its gape. For the sneezing I recommend ACV. Antibiotics will kill the good and bad bacteria and they need some to keep up their immune systems. If you find worms I would treat that first. Give her a few days after the worming and then see if the sneezing subsides. If not then maybe do the antibiotics. (Tylan or Oxytetracycline maybe)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by