gagirlchicken

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by gagirlchicken, Nov 11, 2016.

1. gagirlchicken

gagirlchicken New Egg

Nov 11, 2016
    Hartwell , Ga
    Hello, I joined to get a better idea of raising chickens. I have 23 chicken, of which 16 are roosters. My husband and I planning to build on to our chicken coop so we can separate our chickens by breeds. We currently have RIRs, white leghorns, buff Orpingtons, dominquers, white Americans, and I also just started incubating so chickens that will be leghorns and buff mixed. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

2. AustralorpsAU

AustralorpsAU Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Down Under
    Welcome to BYC! 16 roosters to 6 hens is not a very good ratio. 1 rooster would be plenty for those hens. Are you planning on getting more hens?

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Wow that is a lot of roosters you have there. What are your plans for them all? The learning centre is a great place to check out ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center Lots of super articles there on all aspects of keeping chickens.
    Good luck with your incubation, hatching your own chicks sure is lots of fun :D

Good luck and enjoy BYC :frow

1 person likes this.
  4. gagirlchicken

gagirlchicken New Egg

Nov 11, 2016
    Hartwell , Ga
    I have my roosters separate from my hens for now I'm getting hens for each breed. As of now I have one rooster in a pin with 9 hens that I will be taking out to separate by breed when we get the other pins built.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    breeding pens should have a top over them, so no other rooster breaks in and ruins your plans. One rooster can handle 10 hens, less and the poor hens end up getting over bred and abused. For 16 roosters you would need 160 hens. Once hens enter into the picture the males will be fighting.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  6. gagirlchicken

gagirlchicken New Egg

Nov 11, 2016
    Hartwell , Ga
    My roosters are not with my hens I have the separate. There is one rooster with all my hens and my pen is completely closed in so nothing can get in. It also includes 12 boxes for the hens to lay in. Which is plenty considering I only have 9 hens.

7. AustralorpsAU

AustralorpsAU Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Down Under
    Sounds like youve got everything sorted out. Hope your breeding project goes well

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! Best wishes and thank you for joining BYC!

9. gagirlchicken

gagirlchicken New Egg

Nov 11, 2016
    Hartwell , Ga
    Thanks! I feel I can learn a lot from people that had been raising chickens for years. I did a few layers when I was younger but now I'm trying it all breeding, laying, and fryers.

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by