1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

GAH! 102 degrees?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Overeasyplz, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    My incubator has been hanging out at 99.5 for most of the incubation period. This morning before work I turned my eggs and checked humidity, it was 55 and temp was 100. I was sure it was just the heat cycle with the bulb on. BUT the outside temp has increased over 30 degrees (today it was 36 degrees outside) and my incubator crept up to 102! When I got home to turn my eggs I saw the temp was 102, so I adjusted the thermostat and now am watching it again. I am on my last day of turning before lockdown. Do you think my eggs will be all right? they were all growing nicely in there, I hope the high temp didn't cook them!!

2. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I imagine they are fine. 102 isn't all that bad.

3. Overeasyplz

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    oh, that's good to hear. I wish I could take the whole thing to work with me so I could watch it..

4. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    Mine fluctuates from 99-102 all the time and chicks continue to hatch. [​IMG]

5. Overeasyplz

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    Phew!! [​IMG] I feel better now!!

6. riftnreef

riftnreef Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Mechanicsburg, Ohio
    yup...I just hatched some Seramas and quail a couple weeks ago...it was my first try, and I over fiddled with the thermostat all the time...got up to 103+ a few times...all the way down to 98 a few times...but I kept a CONSTANT eye on it...so it was never for more than 3-4 hours...so I would say you are A-OK!

7. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

Don't worry my temp. went to 107 and I only lost 2 out of 20 so you should be fine.

8. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Praying for a happy and great hatch for you!

Have a blessed Christmas time....

9. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    You need to keep your incubator in a location where the outside (outside the bator) temperature does not fluctuate more than 10 degrees.

10. P0U1TRYP3RS0N

P0U1TRYP3RS0N Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    102, if it was just for a short while, shouldnt roast anybody.
    I know from past hatches (given I havent used my bator in a year now...but in the past) mine's crept up there--sneaky little things. Are you using a still air or forced air model? Pretty much if you're between like 98.5 to 101 everythings ok. A little while at 102 shouldnt hurt anyone. I hope yours are ok. What day are you on? Have you candled yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by