Gah! Am I going to break my broody?!

halfpintlc

Songster
5 Years
Aug 29, 2017
Brockville, ON
I don't want to break her. She has not been eating/drinking, unless I hand feed her or move her to the feeders. I even went so far as to hold the waterer at the front of the nest box. I'm worried about her, its getting hot (the first 2 days she was sitting it was 28-30c, 37c with humidity) I don't want her getting dehydrated or weak. Is it okay to move her to get her to eat/drink? She doesn't get mad or anything, I just don't want her to decide not to sit on the nest again.

OK... Is this her first time doing this? If so, there's no guarantee that she'll follow through to hatching or take care of any chicks she hatches. Is there any way you can install a fan to circulate air over her in the nest box? If she is truly broody, just taking her off the nest once or twice a day for food and water and to poop is not going to break her. Hope it all works out to your desired end.

Thank you. Yes, this is her first time. I could put a fan on her, thankfully the nights are still cooling down nicely for her. Its good to hear that it shouldn't deter her. She is a silkie that is 30-32 weeks and this is one of the many reasons we got her.

Absolutely. I set her with 7 eggs from our own girls(thinking we could lose a couple). Our roo has been very successful at his job, all of the eggs have had a bullseye that we have used. She has been sitting for 4 days, will candle in a few days to check what's happening. Been really trying to research what to do for her.

Back
Top Bottom