GAH! cracked shells in eggs with babies =/

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Ashleyy_x3, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Ashleyy_x3

Ashleyy_x3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Maine
    so this morning when i went to turn the eggs i mustve still been half asleep and terribly clumsy. I dropped one of my huge brabanter eggs while turning and it fell onto one of my russian orloff and one of my OEGB eggs. the orloff egg got a couple of cracks around the bottom of the egg. but the oegb egg got quite a crater in it where the egg fell pretty much directly on it =/ looks like it got pecked.. they both have babies in them and i dont wanna lose them thye only have a little over a week to go!. so i put wax on both of them in the damaged spots... ive heard of this working for cracks in eggs but havent heard of if it worked for craters... it hadnt seeped any sort of liquid or anything so im thinking the membrane maybe didnt get ripped.. [​IMG] think these eggs have a chance?

2. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    The crater's in the big end, right? If the membrane is intact, it'll probably be ok. The only thing I'd be concerned about is excess drying. Maybe put a wet sponge under the cratered egg, with a straw to add water to the sponge through an air vent.

3. Ashleyy_x3

Ashleyy_x3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Maine
    the crater is more towards the small end [​IMG] but yeah i think ill try putting a damp cloth under it to make sure the membrane doesnt dry out.. i think i closed it up pretty good with wax but prob not complety..

an update tho. i just candled the crater egg and after 12 hours the baby is still moving all around inside. so i'm hoping itll survive. [​IMG]

4. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    Sounds like you've done all you can, and there's a good chance it'll hatch. Good luck, let us know what happens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by