Gah! Groundhog eating my porch!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Uzuri, May 9, 2009.

1. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    I let the stupid bugger live there because he was at least better than a skunk or raccoon, but he's outstayed his welcome now.

He's facing a trap and some shotgun pellets in the near future, but I need to do something to keep him off the wood in the meantime. There are a lot of country types around here, so I figured I'd ask--anyone here know a flavor groundhogs don't like? I thought hot sauce, but then read from someone who kept the things as pets that hers sought that stuff out and gobbled it--I don't want to season the porch :p

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Gosh I know you can buy a spray to keep cats away from things. Maybe a feed store would know.

3. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    How about borax powder.sprinkled under the porch?
    it keeps ants and roaches away.

4. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    I had the problem too. Ground hogs will run off the skunks! Anyway, I went to a lawn and garden store and bought a small bottle of fox urine and sprinkled that around the porch. That took care of the problem but could create another one. It may actually bring in a real fox to see who the other 'ghost' fox is. [​IMG]

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

They have pest repellent stuff at Lowes it's made out of black pepper oil I think, and it lasts about a month before reapplication according to the bottle. Dunno if it actually works, but I doubt it would attract foxes [​IMG]

6. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    Henry'schickens :

I had the problem too. Ground hogs will run off the skunks! Anyway, I went to a lawn and garden store and bought a small bottle of fox urine and sprinkled that around the porch. That took care of the problem but could create another one. It may actually bring in a real fox to see who the other 'ghost' fox is. [​IMG]

Anybody else wonder how they get that stuff??? [​IMG]

7. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Quote:Anybody else wonder how they get that stuff??? [​IMG]

[​IMG] Just make sure you don't spill it! My DH has bottles of nasty stuff downstairs that is used for fishing or hunting. I can smell an open bottle.[​IMG]

8. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    I know how you feel. When I lived in Ga a few years back I had a groundhog problem too. It made even more problems when it had babies. Then I had them under both my sheds. >.<

9. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Ah, predator scent, I'll have to give that one a try. I think I'd rather have foxes than pay through the nose for something that turns out to be snake oil (unless groundhogs don't like snake oil [​IMG] ). Yeah, bad experience with commercial repellents here in the past, can you tell? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by