Gahh! Fire ants and flies!! Help please :|

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Moochie, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Ever since we got the young ducks the flies are everywhere in their enclosure and so are fire ants... I don't really mind the flies but they're annoying. But OH BOY do I dislike fire ants.

I don't know what you can tell me on the flies, I don't expect anyone to give me for sure answers. How about the ants? Is spray okay as long as I am careful, I'd only spray the edge of their house and spray their feeders. I would remove all food from the feeder, spray, leave out for a little while, and then put it back. Not the inside of the feeder though. I do have ant poison but I'm worried the duckies may eat it... Cuz it looks like their feed crumbles.

Also there's this stench coming from the ground! I was tilling the dirt in there with a little shovel, and this smelly smell came from the ground. I can't really describe it, but I've smelled it before. A little story... So there's this flat, heavy, marble table top (small too and can be picked up). I keep it in one place. I put the leftover feed powder from the hens' lay mash and water under it, then I let it stay in this one spot for weeks. Sometimes when I lift it up and poke around with a stick theres these tiny white worms in all that mush and the chicken who gets there first just gorges themselves. But oh the stench! Is it from the feed powder?

Is that what is attracting the flies or do flies like duck poo better than chicken poo? Or both?

I'm also worried that the ants are biting my duckies feet, they are very young, 3 weeks probably. When I put them in their house they didn't stay long in it, they usually stay there the whole night, it's a fairly warm night though, gotta appreciate the summer. Plus they only stay on the left side of the enclosure when they feed, while I noticed most of the ants are on the right side.

2. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Oh and there's shavings in their enclosure. Where should I sprinkle shavings in there? Right now the shavings are in their house and some outside of their house, the rest is dirt. Wish I could get some grass growing in there though... Will the ducks eat it?

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Sometimes when I lift it up and poke around with a stick theres these tiny white worms in all that mush

That sounds like maggots in rotting, moldy , fermenting feed.

Try using DE for the ants, or mixing 3 parts sugar and 1 part Boric acid in a container that the chickens can't get into​

4. UNCLEG

UNCLEG Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2007
    Mix DE in their feed and their litter, it will really help with flies. You can also use it on fire ant mounds. I prefer using boiling water on the FA mounds.

5. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    It is maggots! Today I uncovered a whole bunch, only about one inch deep, in the duck enclosure! My silkie roo and Sugar had a fun time... And I scooped some up into a cup and gave my Moochie some.. Heh.

Also the other stuff in the scratch is sprouting leaves! Yay!? Oh, and I took care of the ants >[​IMG]

6. LCTX-Chickens

LCTX-Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2009
    League City, Texas
    I'll have to try DE on the ant mounds, we have a lot of them!!!

[​IMG]

7. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
  8. FoodisGold

FoodisGold Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2010
    [​IMG] Hi My sister just told me that Gritts will kill the ants. Just sprinkle around the hole of the Fire ants. They will eat them and blow up when they drink water. This will also kill the Queen when they bring her some. Its worth a try let me know how it works. We are planning on moving soon to a place in the Ozarks and are looking for ways to take care of many predators. So I am reading the posts to learn how. Lottie

9. ALRwild

ALRwild Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Idaho
    I might sound weird for knowing how to solve flies... but I think I do. Just hang some of those cheep trucker vanilla scented air fresheners in your run/coop. I read somewhere that it helps get rid of flies because flies hate vanilla. I haven't tried this yet (although I should), so don't trust me on this one... but it is worth a try.

10. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by