Gahh School boards are soooo messed

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by call ducks, Jan 4, 2011.

1. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    How is this Fare? One school board gets two week march break while all the rest get one week? They better keep those kids in for another week of school because they well be missing one week... The reason for this is because the Canada winter games are in Halifax i know this is big... but it seems that NS government only want's the City of Halifax to view the games...

What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2011
  2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Well, take a look at the spelling of the topic, for starters...

Okay, did the schools all start on the same date? End on the same date? Have the same length of fall and winter breaks? Have the same number of classroom hours per week?

DH works 9 hour days. In 9 workdays he has accumulated 81 hours, so he has alternate Fridays off. Same amount of work (actually an hour extra) as someone working 8 hours a workday with no Fridays off. DS works 4 ten hour days per week. Same thing.

Some schools operate under number of days of instruction; others operate under number of minutes of instruction. Some do a mix.

When year round school first began, DS had three breaks during the year: 3-week breaks in the fall and spring, and a 2-week break at Christmas. Gee, the non-year round schools didn't get all that time off! They also did not begin the school year at the end of July and end it in mid-June.

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Did you mean to say school boards are not fair?

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    What gets me is, different districts break at different times. My DIL has a 15 minute drive to the school where she is teaching, her kids ride the bus to school, and this week she is teaching and they are out.... Different counties. Pretty rough on families with young kids.

5. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    Quote:.. because they WILL be missing one week ..

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:No doubt a typo, as she then spelled it correctly, but the underlying point is well taken. Their schedules wouldn't be nearly as frustrating if they were actually doing their jobs well. DIL has a bunch of angry parents on her hands because she refuses to pass kids unless they actually make passing grades. Duh....

7. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Read the OP's sig line and all is hopefully pardoned and forgotten.

8. call ducks

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    Quote:In this case Yes... There is a national wide winter games happening... Only the kids that live in that school boards are going to be able to see them (yah right, most are going on vacation [​IMG] ). The Education system (i guess???) talked about giving all kids an extra week off. the way i see it is that they should be fair in this case ether 2 weeks for all or the normal 1 week

9. call ducks

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] (one less thing i need to type/defend )

10. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I wanted to clarify what the op meant. I wanted to make sure broads meant school board. In Canada, can one start a petition stating the problem to present to the school board? In America many neighboring school districts can have different vacations days-especially in the southeast where some schools have to make up for snow days. What I really hated when I went to high school was being forced to attend a school across town when I had a perfectly good school within walking distance. This was in the 70's when gas was very difficult to find-we actually had to purchase a coupon that allotted a family a certain amount of gas. Apparently busing kids clear across the state was one way to conserve gas. Go figure. Recently, I heard a teacher complain of budget cuts, decrease in pay, and reducing the school year by a certain amount of days. In this state we have the "Education Lottery". Where is this money going?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by