GAHHH!!!! THe batcholor pad was dug under!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by silkiechicken, Oct 6, 2007.

1. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

*Insert string of expletives*

Something got into the silkie batchlor pad and ate my two boy silkies!!!! GAHHH!!!! [​IMG]

What ever it was, it dug under the bottom and squeezed through a 4 inch crack and ate every last bit of the two boys except one patch of skin! No wire was breached just feathers.... I don't even know how the animal got the silkies out! [​IMG]

I want to say it was the work of a coon due to the evidence of just feathers and no body's left behind. We don't have weasels or minks to my knowledge and it doesn't even look like that type of decimation anyways.

[​IMG]

AND THE TRAP WAS SET!!!! It was just in the wrong part of the chicken yard. [​IMG]

2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Ouch! What a bummer! [​IMG] Hope you catch what did it!

Dawn

3. JaciesCoop

JaciesCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2007
    Arizona
    Oh MY! It just makes you wonder if there is any true way to keep them safe!!??[​IMG]

I'm so sorry.

Jacie

4. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Sorry that happened to you and good luck on finding the animal that did this.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Well, just CRUD! I'm so sorry. Seems they find a way, despite out best efforts.

6. newchickowner

newchickowner Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2007
    Texas
    what about a canine, like a fox. Digging under the fence and carrying the bodies away???

sorry for your loss, I hope you can figure it out.

7. silkiechicken

We don't have foxes here either. Only things are possums and coons... I bet its one of thoes two. Could a fox even live in a city? I guess they could be hiding out in the woods here since I've seen deer on ocassion!

The gaps are only about 4 inches deep at most. I'm on a quest now...

8. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    Either a possum, coon or a skunk will dig under and carry it off...sometimes they just eat what they want and leave the rest...I would run some wire around the bottom on the ground and place bricks or something heavy ontop of it...hopefully that will help.

9. silkiechicken

Running wire about the bottoms are my plans today. I like to move them but I guess I'll keep them safe and not do any coop moving till spring. They free range anyways but I like to get the soil prepped for planting. Oh well, one less plot is nothing if the birds are alive.

10. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Quote:I live in the middle of nowhere, with all kinds of predators. IT IS A MUST TO HAVE AT LEAST ONE FOOT OF WIRE L SHAPED AT THE BOTTOM OF YOUR FENCE. I have seen many animals try to dig under a fence, but with the wire in place they don't back up to go under. If they have fox in the center of D. C. & NYC. why isn't there any where you live?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by