gain ratio

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Bucky182, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Bucky182

Bucky182 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2009
    Never did it with birds did it with cattle and hogs for the kids FFA and 4H projects what do you guys think your average daily rate of gain would be for your meat birds and what do you think the feed to gain ratio is? IE it takes 4 lbs of feed to get 1 pound of bird.
    I would be interested in the breed of bird IE Cornish X, Freedom Ranger, Rosambro, KK or even DB. My son is looking to do a project for school and is looking for some feed back and then is going to do a feed out in the spring to see what he is getting compared to other producers. Here are some of his questions:

1. What kind of feed and what % proten
    2. What breed of birds what hatchery
    3. how old at processing
    4. How much feed per bird. IE 15 lbs consumed per bird at 8 weeks
    5. Any other information you might have!

Thanks!

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Tons of figures available on-line for Cornish Cross. Every agricultural college has them and most of the hatcheries have them available.

Look it up: there's half your project done for you already.

3. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Much more fun and informative to see everyone's experience. Often ideal info is published and farm numbers vary. Hope to see some good info here.

4. Bucky182

Bucky182 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2009
    The cornish cross info is not hard to get you are right. He is looking for private peoples experiences which would relate to the small farmer not the industrial farmer. I don't think we could ever match them in cost effectivness.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by