Gaining trust of 7 week old chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Want Less, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Want Less

Want Less Songster

Mar 24, 2010
    New Bern, NC
    Quote:Oh I hope so! I just picked up some yogurt and oatmeal just for them to try out... I'll make friends with them yet!

(maybe I should brush up on my French too.... lol)

2. CowgirlPenny

CowgirlPenny Songster

Feb 17, 2011
    South East TN
    My roos were about that age when we got them. I doubt they had ever been handled by a human until that day when they were tossed in the cage of a truck.

It took lots of patience for them to not run back in the coop when they saw me coming, but eventually they started associating be with lots of yummy food and now they make that weird excited sound when I go to see them. I can go in and sit down and they come right up to take things from my hands. I never try to pick them up though. I just don't see the point. If they wanted to sit with me, they would.

Good luck, they are so pretty!

3. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I got four pullets last year as four week olds and a few months later I got five three month old pullets. They never got to be "lap chickens" but they did calm down quite a bit when they started laying. I did a lot of what you are talking about. Fed them treats, walk slowly around them and talked to them. They will approach me now (especially with the treat bucket) but they still don't like being handled so I don't unless I need to.

4. write2caroline

write2caroline Songster

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Food, lots of yummy treats and just sit with them quietly.
    Caroline

5. write2caroline

write2caroline Songster

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    I should point out that it depends on the chicken too. I have chickens that I handled from day one and others that I met a week or so after hatching and my big bunch had so many I put them outside much sooner than the others. Of my big variety pack, There were some that associated me with food and to this day when I open the back door - it has bells - they come a running and one will let me pick her up out of 20 or so from that group. The smaller group and my oldest chicken will not let me hold her or pick her up despite all the treats and love I bestode upon her. They are just funny like that. I also don't make it a point to pick them up - except my buff orp because she sort of asks to be held and will hop up sometimes. I would love it if some of my girls were lap sitters. If I sit in a chair in the run, some will come and sit with me or near me but most won't. We chose golden laced wyandottes because the description said docile and friendly. I would love a dozen more of the buff orps if they were all as friendly as the one I have.
    Caroline

6. dianaross77

dianaross77 Songster

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    I know everyone suggest mealworms, and while I've gotten them and the chickens have liked them, I like to buy the really big superworms at the pet store. They don't need to be refrigerated and they don't get lost as easily if they get dropped. Even my little serama chicks at a month old would grab them out of my hands and jump for them.

7. Want Less

Want Less Songster

Mar 24, 2010
    New Bern, NC
    Quote:I definitely agree that it depends on the chicken.... we have one RIR hen that was raised in a bunch of 6 with tons of attention and to this day she flees from people even if youre a mile away and chucking treats everywhere. Funny thing is that as a baby chick, she was one of the friendliest! Once she became little miss egg layer, she decided she didn't like people anymore. To each, his own! [​IMG]

8. ButtersMama

ButtersMama Songster

Feb 28, 2011
    Newbie here...when I talk to my babie chicks, I use a higher pitch...kinda baby talk voice and they definately recognize me and like it.
    Treats and how about petting before trying to pick up or move. I pet and talk at the same time. Good luck!! They are beautiful!!

9. newchicks5

newchicks5 Songster

Mar 14, 2011
    wi
    yes just time an lots of treats.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: