Gallery: We need a 4th catagory of coops-"Grow-out Pens"

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by 3riverschick, Feb 4, 2013.

1. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Hi,
    How does a grow-out pen differ from a coop or brooder? How much room per family of birds is needed..inside, outside? Differences for types and sizes of fowl? Can you put more than one family of hens & chicks in one grow-out pen?
    Does anyone have pics of grow-out pens?
    Thanks,
    Karen

2. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    In my opinion, a brooder is a wood box or make shift box that has a heat source and is used for day olds to 4-5 week olds. A grow out pen is a coop with a run that I use for 5+ week olds to laying age birds. I typically do not have heat in the grow out pens.

As far as space I have 1/2-1 sq ft per bird and in my grow out pens I have about 2-4 sq ft per bird in the coop depending on the age and size of the birds.

I would not recommend putting a huge age and size gap in the coop. I would not put 8 week olds with laying hens. I would put like 16 week old birds with older birds.

Nate

3. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    ========================
    Hi Nate,
    Thanks so much for answering! I have Light Sussex Within SOP size, adult, Male:9 lbs. Female: 7 lbs.
    Ok, so If I put them outside at 5 weeks to 16 weeks(is that right?) I can get by with 4 sq. ft. per bird? I don't want to crowd them. If a hen goes in with the chicks, does the hen stay with them the whole time? Or do I take her out and put her back with the rooster? At a certain age?
    I was thinking of having the hens hatch some eggs and the taking the chicks to brooders and let the girls start sitting again. Do I need to separate the males? At what age?
    ----------------------
    Separate question. Can one have 2 hens sitting in one 4x8 coop? What happens when the eggs hatch? Will one hen kill or steal the other hens chicks? Right now the two Light Sussex pullets are sitting eggs, both sharing the same large nest-box. Should I change that? The roo is in the coop too. Should I put him in a bachelor coop?Till the eggs hatch and I take the chicks away? Should I put a separate box in this same coop for the second pullet?
    The girls are 1/2 sisters and were raised together.
    Thanks for your help!
    Karen

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by