Gallimycin question

cbaxter

Hatching
11 Years
Oct 10, 2008
Does anyone know why Gallimycin soluable states to not give to replacement pullets over 16 wks of age? Does it make the birds sterile or something?

I'ts because at 16 weeks pullets are near the point of laying, and no withdrawal times have been established to determine how long the drug residues are in the eggs....

When you see this on a label for a medication that is recommended for chickens they HAVE TO state this becuase of lawsuites. ANY thing that goes through a chicken into the egg for human consumtion is looked at in a legal posture.

Follow the directions closely and do not eat the eggs if the label states there is a withdrawal time. Some medications state there is no withdrawal time and some have a "forever time" for withdrawal.

Gallimycin (erythomycin) is sn antibiotic in the macrolide class. Tylosin is also in this class.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you. I had one pen of about 20 birds in our breed yard that were diagnosed w/ infectious coryza. The Gallimycin is the only thing that seems to work. BUT with other pens close by, I thought I may play it safe and give them the medication as well. They are all laying eggs and I just didn't want to give it to them and then they stop laying. We incubate most of our eggs right now anyways so we will just back off of the egg consumption for a while. Does anyone have any comments or suggestions for the infectious coryza vaccine? Do you think it should be given as well?

Back
Top Bottom