Gallus Gallus Domesticus, How Have I Failed You!?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by UrbanScratch, Mar 17, 2013.

1. UrbanScratch

UrbanScratch Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2012
    Hello all,

I will try to keep this as short as possible and still give as much information as I can. I am a fairly new chicken owner with a problem. We are just not getting eggs. We are slowly checking off any changing variables to see if we start to get results.
    Here is all the information that i can give as of now.

Flock size: 7 hens, 4 pullets.

Run area: 30' x 10' with an enclosed roosting house (we use the deep litter method in the house)

Watering: 1 gallon automatic system with three chicken nipples (with added organic apple cider vinegar). I know they are drinking regularly because it is cleaned and topped off daily.

Feed: Chicken feeder with 3lbs of feed (pellets/crumbles/and a small bit of scratch) available throughout the day. This however was an issue prior to this week. Being a novice i did not know how much my birds should be eating. They were getting about a quarter of what they should have been.

Light: We are still on a natural light cycle which here in Florida is 12hrs right now. I am going today to purchase a timer and light so we can give a consistent 16hrs of light.

Temperature: We are averaging 70 during the day and 50 at night right now.

Disease/Bugs: I have checked over the flock and there are no signs of mites or disease. All birds have had vaccines.

The part of all this that is really confusing is the five hens we just recently acquired were laying everyday. We acquired these hens about three weeks ago. Since then they have all but stopped. Our two hens that we have had the longest still produce about an egg a day. But not consistently. Our pullets are not old enough yet to produce eggs. So in total we get about two eggs a day out of seven laying hens.

Any suggestions on possible problems or solutions? My poor wife is ready to give up on the hens. But i keep assuring her that they will start laying strong. Thanks.

2. any recent stress? Stop adding the scratch, they may be tossing everything out to get the scratch. Do they have free-choice grit and oyster shell?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  3. UrbanScratch

Sep 25, 2012
    Thanks for the reply. No stress recently that i know of. The scratch is in such a low amount that they eat everything. I have been watching them eat closely and they do not throw anything out.They actually cant with the new type of feeder that i bought since this had been an issue in the past.

4. You can put out bowls of grit and oyster hell each, they need it.

5. hotrodflash

hotrodflash Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2012
    East Texas
    It takes a little time for them to settle in and start laying again. I purchased two hens that were laying regularly and after getting them home it took a month before they started laying again. They are not machines so something like being moved will throw them off sometimes.

6. UrbanScratch

Sep 25, 2012
    OK i will incorporate this into what i am trying as well. Thanks again.
    I will let the wife know to have a little more patience and see if things get better. I really do not want to have a $100 pot of chicken soup. :) Thanks

7. hotrodflash

hotrodflash Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2012
    East Texas
    I know it is hard to wait, I threatened mine with the stew pot many times. They just gave me the stink eye, so yeah, they are really scared of me.

8. Emma14

Emma14 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2013
    The move probably really stressed them out. Also, if its a season change they'll quit laying for a little bit. Mine quit laying for 2 or 3 months after i moved them to my house. it was the stress and the season changed... i would give them some time they oughta start laying again soon. good luck!

9. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    The chicken nipples are a lovely thing, they keep their water nice and clean and easy. But when I tried them, I found my girls just weren't patient enough to drink their fill off of them. My eggs slowly tapered off after a month or so of my having them, and eggs came back a couple of weeks after I added a big bowl of water in along the nipples. My girls ran straight to that bowl and CHUGGED. You may want to take them a bowl of water and see if they go crazy drinking it.

10. Ashburnham

Ashburnham Chillin' With My Peeps

Try a light on a timer to give them an extra hour or so of daylight in the morning.

M

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by