Galvanised versus plastic waterer?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Godiva, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Godiva

Godiva Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    I have done both and am still not sure which one I prefer... what do you think? The galvanised seems to last a lot longer.... smallest I can find is 2 gallon ... was thinking that the galvanised might be better with winter not that far off and we get pretty cold, might be nice to invest in a heater for the waterer... can't do that with plastic... What do you folks who are in cold climates do? I just moved back to CO and have not had chickens here yet - am more used to dealing with the heat in SC! [​IMG]

2. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    I have had both and I like the metal more. the plastic docent last and they start to leak. there are ways to heat both if you want plastic. but for my obey I would definitely buy a metal waterer.

3. extraordinaryfowl

extraordinaryfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    I use both, and prefer metal - It doesn't break as easily, algae doesn't grow in it and therefore it doesn't need to be cleaned regularly - Also around here (southern PA) in the winter I typically fill up just the tough part twice a day. Every watering I use warm water and pour some on the ice, the gently knock the waterer on the coop and the ice pops out. Metal holds up better for this, but plastic does better then expected too. But, metal is way more expensive. My 2 cents - best of luck

4. CluckCluck18

CluckCluck18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Largo, FL
    I use the plastic because I give the girls ACV in their water and I don't think you can put it in the galvanized one, which I would prefer. [​IMG]

5. LaurelRidgeDreams

LaurelRidgeDreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    Quote:x2

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  6. Rustywreck

Rustywreck Chillin' With My Peeps

I prefer plastic. I have a couple galvanized and they both leak.

7. grandmas Nest

grandmas Nest Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2010
    Newcastle, Wy
    I use a plastic one that plugs in in the coop durning the winter along with a plastic heated dog bowl in the run durning the winter, but durning the summer I use the galvanised ones out side in the run.

8. eggdd

eggdd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    why are these the only two options. i don't want to use either. are there better, or simply different, options?

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I don't use either anymore. I just use black plastic feed bowl containers that I can just flip over and dump the ice out of in winter and they're easy to clean out and fill in the summer. I think they hold 3 gallons apiece. In the pens with more birds I use small concrete mixing tubs.

10. Godiva

Godiva Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    I think I am going to go with a galvanised one for this winter so that I can easily heat it. We are in transition with our flock and I am planning on expanding as soon as we have a rental that is chicken friendly... we'll see what happens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by