galvanized feeders vs. plastic feeder

Anny

Songster
11 Years
Apr 24, 2008
Detroit Michigan
If your opinion which is better and why?

I have heard very good things about the galvanized feeders, my only worry is that in the winter time here in Michigan, the metal will be so cold.

I'm a little afraid that over time the plastic ones will become harder to clean, and maybe even become chews up. Does this happen?

I want a hanging feeder I believe since they seem to be the cleanest, but perhaps I should make a gravity feeder (like the PVC pipes one or something)

What do you guys thing? which feeders have you lived, which have you hated?

i like the metal hanging feeder with the lid on top, it is most durable. For a waterer tho i like plastic, the metal rusts to easy, but you have to be careful if you get a water warmer, you have to get a khul.

I use galvanized waters and feeders. The galvanized waterers do not crack if they freeze in winter and there is not special seal to keep them from leaking.

I use galvanized hanging feeders. I keep full feeders at all times. With a metal feeder I don't have to worry about stress breakage from the weight of 25 lbs of feed hanging from the rafters.

For chicks I have some metal waters and feeders as well as plastic.

If I have to treat with ACV I use the plastic ones because of leeching and oxidizing of the metal ones.

I prefer the metal over the plastic for most uses.

I bought the Little Giant 12 pound galvanized feeder along with the lid that balances on the handle when hanging. But I found that the lid from an ice cream bucket will fit right over the top of the feeder. Works for me.

I have to admit, I picked metal due to environmental issues. Plastic bad. Metal good. We live in Maine and our feed store and local chick owners recommended putting a heater under the waterers to keep them from icing up.

I know some people will call me a tree hugger, and maybe I am, but we all truly do need to do our part protecting this planet.

Green idea for the day.
smile.png

khul is just a brand, and if you need a water warmer to keep the water from freezing, get a khul brand, even if you have to pay shipping. The ones at tsc (little giant) will melt a plastic waterer and burn down your coop, and only the electrical is covered, not the heat element, the khul just keeps the water at like 40 degrees instead of 220, and the whole bottom is covered.

Back
Top Bottom