1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Galvanized Steel Siding

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Lano, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Lano

Lano New Egg

Jun 14, 2007
    Lefors, Texas
    Hello, Getting ready to take the plunge and start on a coop. I have been lurking around looking at designs and completed coops. I can't remember seeing galvanized siding except for roofing. Is there a reason to not use it other than cost? Retiring the end of this year, and want to do it right the first time. I came in this world with chickens, and I'm going out with chickens. However there has been a huge gap in the middle years.

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Hmmmmm, I would think the galvanised steel would get hot, especially in Texas. We have it on the roof of one of our coops, and am trying to save moeny to replace it with the currogated plastic/fiberglass roofing. When the temps outside get in the upper 80's....it get to 90 plus in that coop. Poor chickens...they have many windows and fans to help.

3. jaseg

jaseg Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2007
    New Brunswick, Canada
    I agree it gets hot! I built a small stall for my pig with three sides all steel and it gets hot in there, I added venting to the front and had to put pine bows on the roof, it's fine for now, but if I was to do it over, I'd just spend the money on 1/2 inch plywood.

4. Judymae

Judymae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2007
    Merit, Tx
    We are up near Greenville, Tx. Don't know where at in Tx you are but you have to be careful with the 'barn tin'. It can get hot. But if you allow for ventilation it may be okay. We just finished our coop and used the 1/2 inch plywood! Only thing I did to it was paint the outside and stain the inside to keep it from rotting and warping to much. I hope it lasts a while--we quickreted it in!

5. Lano

Lano New Egg

Jun 14, 2007
    Lefors, Texas
    I live 60 miles NE of Amarillo. I was thinking of the durability of galvanized steel. My horse barns are paneled with it, and have not noticed being hotter. Of course, they are much larger and have plenty of ventilation. I knew there was a reason I wasn't seeing it in the coop pictures. Thanks for the replies. Bob

6. mlheran

mlheran Chillin' With My Peeps

The galvanized panels are sturdy, but they make for a hot enclosure. Our detached garage/barn is roofed and sided with galvanized panels (and yes, they have lasted for 70+ years) but it makes for a perfect hot-box anytime it's in direct sunlight. Plus, if you use it for walls you have to find a way to block up all the gaps because they are perfect for mice and rats -which we have had plenty of in the garage.

So the heat and the gaps are the main reasons I haven't used it. It's a shame, since it's nearly indestructible.

7. Judymae

Apr 22, 2007
    Merit, Tx
    Lano-I used to live in Borger Tx. I think that's near you. I loved it out there except for the constand sulpur smell from the refinery plants.

8. rufus

rufus Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Lano, I know what you mean about durability. I have inherited property about 20 miles from where you are. The house is falling down, but the tin barns are in great shape. You might build the stucture of wood and sheath it in tin with a styrofoam insulation in between.

Rufus

9. Lano

Lano New Egg

Jun 14, 2007
    Lefors, Texas
    Judymae, I live 41 miles from Borger. My Dad is retired from Phillips Pet. That's how we got up to this part of the world. rufus, that's the beauty of steel. I would not roof anything except in steel. Maybe it's not as pretty, but it is there a long time. After this discussion, I think I will side the coop in T1-11 paneling. That's the beauty of forums. You can get great input in a short time.

10. Judymae

Apr 22, 2007
    Merit, Tx
    Lano-my dad worked for the local radio station KQTY in the mid 80's and my grandfather ran the White's Home and Auto untill it closed. My uncle worked for the Huber plant. We lived there awhile. I loved the small town atmosphere so I moved my kids out here from Dallas. I remember coming to Dallas as a kid for vacation and seeing purple hair for the first time. I like the sheltered life of the country!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by