Galvanized vs plastic waterers and feeders

Jeff Cooper

Chirping
Apr 6, 2021
The bottom line is simple ....... how well do the plastic feeders and waterers hold up compared to galvanized?

I need to buy four of each and the price difference is substantial. However, I do not want to buy something that will be junk after a year or two.

Thank you if you can help.

The bottom line is simple ....... how well do the plastic feeders and waterers hold up compared to galvanized?

I need to buy four of each and the price difference is substantial. However, I do not want to buy something that will be junk after a year or two.

Thank you if you can help.
We made our own feeders out of a 45 degree pvc elbows and a 2 inch pvc pipe. Our watering system is a plastic 5 gallon bucket with nipples. I prefer plastic for many reasons, cheaper, easier to clean, and it doesn’t rust. We haven’t had any issues in over a year with using plastic!

My experience with galvanized waterers is not good.

The one I had rusted seriously within 2 years. I don't know if it was cheap, low-grade galvanization or very acidic water at fault.

I use Horizontal nipple waterers made from frosting buckets I get from the bakery at the grocery store where I work.
I’ve seen so many reviews on many different galvanized waterers, even the really expensive “no rust” ones, that have rusted in no time. So it’s definitely not just you😂

It depends on where you put them. UV rays from the sun are the worst thing for plastic. Anything acidic or salty is the worst thing for galvanized and that includes acids formed in the ground through decomposition.
I’ve never had a problem with our plastic waterers/feeders being in the sun, where they are most of the day because of the position of the coop

Back
Top Bottom