galvanized waterer

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 1090WA, Sep 1, 2013.

1. 1090WA

1090WA New Egg

Sep 1, 2013
    Thurston County, WA
    I bought a 2 gal galvanized waterer, double walled, for my flock of 12. Now I'm worrying about how frequently I need to change the water--who knows?

2. 907chickens

907chickens New Egg

Aug 10, 2013
    Palmer Alaska
    Two gallons for 12 birds shouldn't last long enough to need changing.

3. houseofknauss

houseofknauss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2013
    I have a 5 gallon waterer for the ducks and the chickens at night--it gets cleaned and filled every 2 days.(they empty it) during the day they drink from a pot with water or the pond. I have a one gallon for 9 chicks that are 7 weeks old, they go thru that every 2 to 3 days.

4. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    When I had 12 it seem to go about a week till it need to be filled However I often had to clean the water in the drinking ring. The amount of time it takes for that to get dirty varies with where it is.

5. 907chickens

907chickens New Egg

Aug 10, 2013
    Palmer Alaska
    I've got a 5 gallon galvanized water fount and I have it up on paving bricks. This keeps it alot cleaner than on the ground.

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

In the summer I'd put fresh in there every day so you make sure they don't run out of water, and bleach it out every 2 weeks (rinse very well).

In the winter I'd just keep it topped off and bleach it every month. But the water needs dumping out of the drinking trough part daily.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by