galvanized waterers

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by tinman9952, Sep 25, 2009.

1. tinman9952

tinman9952 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2007
    Waterford,Maine
    I am seeing some rust when i change the water. I bought a plasic one but they knock off the bottom when i hang it and fill it with shavings when i put it on the floor. Is the rust ok or should i throw the galv. one away and buy a new one?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    It will be OK until it leaks. You can paint it to extend the life if you can get to the rusty spots. I'd use rustoleum or something like that. Just let it dry and then wash it off well before you use it.

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I had a new waterer last year and it started rusting after two months of using it. So I got rid of it. I had an old waterer I had that didnt rust for a long time. Anything made in China, you can bet it is cheaply made material. I got rid of it.

4. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I replaced all my waterers with blk rubber tubs. They come in all sizes. I hate the metal waterers.

5. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    they knock off the bottom when i hang it and fill it with shavings when i put it on the floor.

Set it up on some bricks or a wooden box to get it at about "back height" to the birds.​

6. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Mine's rusting after only a couple of months too. I'm VERY disappointed - I thought since it was galvanized it wouldn't rust? [​IMG]

7. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    I use the black rubber bowls too! Much easier to clean and no one knocks them over![​IMG]

8. SunnyD

SunnyD Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2009
    Quote:How do you keep your chickens out of them your tubs?

9. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I place the tubs outside of the run /or cages. The bowls are usually raised up on bricks. I then cut a hole big enough for them to stick there heads thru and drink. Works great.

10. SunnyD

SunnyD Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2009
    Quote:Thanks FarmGirl!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by