Gambel Quail

RoyalFlock

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 30, 2012
Miami, Florida
Someone wants to give me some Gambel quails and before I say yes I would need to know if I would need a permit to have them in Florida and what do they eat?
Any other things I may need to know before I make my decision?

well they need to have one square inch wire all around the cage nothing bigger and they eat layer pellet in non breeding season and game bird in breeding season and you do not need a permit for them or a licence.

I think you should read this from the stickies:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/429252/game-bird-permit-licencsure-information

Each state is a little different, but the OP (JJMR794) on that thread is from Florida, and MobyQuail is from Florida too...as well as Quaillady, bet they may would be help to help answer your question better or how to do the process.

Here in Oklahoma for instance, every flavor of New World quail among other birds that are considered Native to North America requires a permit. If you only have 1 or a few for your own hobby, not for sale to include eggs, you purchase non-commercial wildlife license, if you your intents are to raise to sell, regardless of eggs or adult birds, you have to get a Commercial Wildlife Breeder's License...and your stock also has to come from a licensed breeder, in or out of state.

So you see all laws are different.

Good luck with your acquisitions!

well they need to have one square inch wire all around the cage nothing bigger and they eat layer pellet in non breeding season and game bird in breeding season and you do not need a permit for them or a licence.

ahh, i wouldn't really feed them pellets at any time, they are a bit to big and birds quail size could easily choke on them. I"m a firm believer in feeding every quail(maybe some species need a little more) a quality GBS CRUMBLE, best one i've seen is Purina Gamebird Startena, its what i use and is a 30% protein diet, very good for them and my birds look wonderful, granted i have coturnix.

one inch is a bit large, maybe for the sides is ok, but 1/2" cloth is the general perfect census for the floor of any raised coop

ive got the african harlequin quail and i feed them pellet
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom